Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 poms, they pee on the hardwood I have now. I'm moving to an apt. that has carpet. My friend advised me she keeps her dogs in their kennels all day while she is at work, and feeds them at night and takes them out for good walks at night. I have never caged my dogs up all day but what do I do? They will pee on the carpet and I'll be miserable. But, what about them? 1 male neutered 11 yrs. one female 3 yrs. Thanks for all the help.

:(

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I am fortunate enough to take my dogs to work with me so I have never had this problem...But could you maybe put the dogs in the laundry room or bathroom? How old are they?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!!

First-I'd work on toilet training rather then just crate them :) Doesn't matter that they aren't puppies-start from scratch :) Crating is just a band aid for the issue here -which is they aren't toilet trained ;)

http://www.dogforum.com/housebreaking-puppies/house-training-how-tos-2135/

On crate training; you'll need to get them used to crates first. Can they stay in all day? Yes-any dog over a year can tolerate about eight hours alone, with no potty breaks.

Personally I don't kennel. Mikey is very good about being loose in the house, and he knows it's a priveledge -we did kennel him at first-and he prefers to be able to keep our bed and couch warm.

But many people can and do kennel and it can be a good thing. Dogs are den animals, they like being in a small warm comforatable space, and the crate can certainly be that for you.

So first up, buy crates :)

Then you'll want to make this a happy place for them. Start with the crate doors open, and feed them in there. NEVER use it to punish, or they won't want to go in there. Make it comfy-give them a nice blanket or dog pillow.

This link has some great tips too http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/crate-train.pdf

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
1 male neutered 11 yrs. one female 3 yrs. Thanks for all the help.:(
Sorry...I just realized you had their ages in your Original Post. But I agree with Mikey the most important thing is to get them potty trained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts