Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our miniature Schauzer-Poodle cross since November of 2015, He will be two in February of 2017. Recently he has started pooping in the house. He had done fairly well with going outside, but something's up. He knows to ring the jingle bells on the back door knob when he wants out. He will ask to go out, then play and play and then come in and poop. Or not. Sometimes he takes care of his business outside. He did much better than this when we first got him. I am at a loss as to what we are doing wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
442 Posts
We have had our miniature Schauzer-Poodle cross since November of 2015, He will be two in February of 2017. Recently he has started pooping in the house. He had done fairly well with going outside, but something's up. He knows to ring the jingle bells on the back door knob when he wants out. He will ask to go out, then play and play and then come in and poop. Or not. Sometimes he takes care of his business outside. He did much better than this when we first got him. I am at a loss as to what we are doing wrong. Any ideas?
My gut feeling is he finds it more convenient to do his #2 business indoors :)

Does he go off to a separate room to poop or does he do it right in front of you?

He may need to be outside longer? He may also need a little brush up with crate training and increase the supervision

Another idea is to cut down on the playing for a while. If he finds it fun to play, he will be motivated to play play play and not attend to his business. Or maybe only play after he poops for you

Are you walking him on a leash or does he go out freely? Maybe go back to a leash for a while too

Just throwing out ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically we find it sometime after the has done it Although once he squated right in front of me! I quickly hustled him outside where he finished up. We have a large fenced back yard and he gets distracted following bugs around, ridding the yard of dangerous invaders such as rabbits and/or birds and just generally having a good time. He is (or at least thinks he is)b an alpha dog. At 14 pounds he tries to dominate our daughter's 50+ pound boxer when they come over. Our previous Schnoodle used to just stay out of the boxer's way, but this little guy wants to boss. They actually play together pretty well when they are together, but he's always trying to boss. I don't know if that "alpha" trait has anything to do with the going in the house probelm or not.

My gut feeling is he finds it more convenient to do his #2 business indoors :)

Does he go off to a separate room to poop or does he do it right in front of you?

He may need to be outside longer? He may also need a little brush up with crate training and increase the supervision

Another idea is to cut down on the playing for a while. If he finds it fun to play, he will be motivated to play play play and not attend to his business. Or maybe only play after he poops for you

Are you walk

ing him on a leash or does he go out freely? Maybe go back to a leash for a while too

Just throwing out ideas

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh yeah some of the little dogs act like they own the joint :)

From what you're saying about your yard (which sounds super fun), he is just having a good time and can't be bothered to take that moment to poop first

I know it's annoying, but I would go back to taking him out there on a leash, making sure he poops, then he gets his off-leash playtime. Then maybe in the future, when he gets the rhythm again of pooping outside, you can go back to letting him out there free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts