Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new to dog forum.
we recently met Capone, and fell in love. We adopted him from a shelter where he was surrendered to. He is a cane corso boxer mix, 19 months old. He previously lived only with a single female and has issues with men.

We decided to visit him for three days straight to see whether he could learn to adjust to my husband.

he shies away from him especially when my husband is up right. He is not home during the week and now we have to get him acquainted every weekend all over again.

sadly he seemed relieved when my husband left for work. but now mid week he seems totally bummed, paces and cries constantly. i walk him 3-5 times a day weather dependent and we play ball in the yard. but now he doesn'
t want to do that. when he sees other dogs he cries and whimpers like he want to be with them, but adding a second dog isn't an option.

what else can we do for him to feel at home with us?

i don't want him stressed every weekend and i want to do right by him

thanks
Capone's Mama

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I just rehomed a Miniature Pinscher, he was depressed on the first night but hasn't had the time to be depressed since. I've kept him busy, take him everywhere I can, pushed him to interact with me and as many people as I could in every environment. the change in the dog has been amazing. I've had him out to dog parks near every day, let him meet the dogs, kids love him.

Keep the dog busy for a while. If you go somewhere in the car, take the dog, if you need to leave the dog in the car, not an issue.

Only problem I have now is that he doesn't want to be left home, used to going everywhere.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
It is very common for dogs to be shell shocked for the first weeks, even months after adoption. Especially for a dog that is no longer a puppy. It is estimated that it takes roughly 3 months for a dog's while personality to show through but I have seen dogs take up to 5 months to suddenly settle in and make a big improvement.

A shutdown period of 2 weeks (very low interaction with anyone or any place other than the family and the new home) is usually recommended for dogs adopted as adults. If he seems to like walks and gain confidence from them then keep em short and laid back. Lots of positive interaction. Games around the house, training, puzzle toys to keep them amused.

ETA: Stress blocks learning. My dog would "forget she trusted" people too if she went more than a few days without seeing them. Same sort of deal, young adult dog, not fantastically socialized, fear of men. As the dog deals with less and less stress (from the new home, any new places you take him, triggers, etcetera) his memory will get a lot better and he will be able to pick up right where he left off with people. In the house you can try things like the thundershirt, zylkene and a DAP collar to lower his general anxiety.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Dogs like humans have feelings & are very sensitive to environmental changes. Right now he probably very confused & trying to figure out what happened to him. He needs time to adjust. Be gentle & understanding with him & he will eventually figure it all out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts