Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just adopted a 3-year-old un-neutered male Paperanian (pomeranian papillion cross) named Pika.

The first night (saturday the 26th) we got him home he peed on the floor. I thought maybe it was just the new surroundings so I overlooked it. The next day he was outside most of the day so obviously nothing happened indoors, but yesterday he marked the corners of our bed twice. on our comforter and bedskirt. Today he marked the corner of our bed again and marked the bag of potatoes sitting in my kitchen.

What do I do???!!! Is it too late to stop this behavior? Can neutering make him stop or is it too late? I am beginning to regret getting him because I am stressed all day that he's gonna pee on something and everytime he goes out of my sight I have to go and see where he is because I'm terrified he's gonna go on our couch or bed or whatever. I want to cry cuz I just dont know what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help

-Pareeeee & Pika

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
First -NEUTER. Make an appointment asap. Marking is a territorial behavior is controlled by horomones. It's never to late to neuter.

Next-your going to have to potty train.

Take him out after every meal, every drink, every playtime, after he wakes up and before bed. As well-whenever he gets to sniffing corners.

Never punish for going inside. If you catch him in the act, take him outside. If you don't catch him, just clean it up.

PRAISE praise praise for going outside.

Neuter is essential though-take him in soon for it!!

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Ok. I guess we'll try the neuter then and see if that helps. He also has problems outside like he cant focus at all. he's a little spaz...but maybe its all hormones

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
your dog is trying to make his new surroundings more comfortable for himself, he isn't trying to make you mad or be dominant over you or anything like that, he is just trying to define for himself what his space it..... the longer you have him, and the more you interact with him and build a positive relationship with him, the less he will feel the need to do this.
i think neutering could help, you can also try crate training. make sure you are cleaning all his spots with an enzyme cleaner (nature's miracle is the only brand that i know of, but there are other out there). in the mean time, don't let him wonder around unsupervised...not even for a minute...if you cannot supervise him, he needs to be confined to a small area (for most dogs, this should help as they usually prefer not to soil in a small space) keep in mind that he will need a bit of an established routine at first, so regular exercise, and play time and meal times will help you tremendously. follow mikey's advice for potty training...treat him like he is still a puppy as far as potty training goes, and be vigilant, it is up to you to show him the right way to do things.
he is terribly cute btw! congratulations on your new addition. just a bit of work now, and you will have a great future together :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your responses. :)

enzyme cleaner? hmm ok. I've just been using Pine Sol, thot the scent of that was overpowering enough to get anything out LOL

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
thanks for your responses. :)

enzyme cleaner? hmm ok. I've just been using Pine Sol, thot the scent of that was overpowering enough to get anything out LOL
actually, strong smelling cleaners encourage urine marking, you are better off not using them at all on the spots and just wiping up the mess. you want to avoid anything that has amonia especially...;) the enzyme cleaner is expensive, so be prepared for that, but it really works...and you just wipe up then soak the stain and let it air dry...pretty cool imo:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
a paperanian? lol new designer breed?

neutering is good for many reasons but like the others said it is not a cure all and potty training is needed :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Ok. I guess we'll try the neuter then and see if that helps. He also has problems outside like he cant focus at all. he's a little spaz...but maybe its all hormones

alot of pomeranians are kinda in overdrive all the time..mine is the same way and i've never met one that can sit still long...not sure how paps are. But Poms are basically toy sled dogs, mini versions of their working ancestors...they want to run run run run!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
If he's hyper outside play with him, then go stand in his bathroom corner (wherever he has gone) and just ignore him, or indicate that he should sniff. Generally hanging out by somewhere they've previously pottied can be enough to make them go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree neutering will help also make sure He does not have a bladder infection some times that can make them urinate around the house. Its all new to him be patient. My dog starting peeing in the house around 2 yrs old right after we moved it was all new to him he stopped but when we move agian did it agian but this time he had bladder infection. Also for clean up I find NATURES MIRACLE stain and odor remover to be the best I found You can get it at any pet store and there no unpleasant odor. And its safe for animals and children.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me again! Routine Routine I agree! Dogs thrive on it. Get him on a schedule as much as possible I know life is busy but in the long run it will make your life easier and he will be very happy Be cause he will knows and understands what is expected of him. Less stress for you and him. Positive reinforcement every time he goes out side (treats, praise etc) He wants to please you. Good luck He is such a cutie!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also adopted a gog 5 years ago that i had to put down recently, and let me tell you she used to pee on the bed, sometimes 2x a day my husband was so aggrivated. But i stuck through it and even though it lasted for what seemed like an eternity she finally stopped. I feel that adopted dogs you just dont know what to expect. Just have patience and it will work out.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I also adopted a gog 5 years ago that i had to put down recently, and let me tell you she used to pee on the bed, sometimes 2x a day my husband was so aggrivated. But i stuck through it and even though it lasted for what seemed like an eternity she finally stopped. I feel that adopted dogs you just dont know what to expect. Just have patience and it will work out.
Well said! I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dog have a great patient mommy :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts