Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caring for my sons 3 year old dog. He's a big boy pitbull an boxer I think. In the house he's very well behaved. On the leash he pulls terrible, barks obsessively, an if he gets free I have to chase him or at least wait because he will not come to me until he's ready.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
For his own safety then, please do not let him get free off leash - I assume when it happened, it wasn't intentional.

You might find a walking belt helpful, it gives you more strength to deal with the pulling and if it is properly fastened he won't be able to get loose.

There are ways of training him to walk nicely, how long will he be with you?

And for barking, can you give more detail about what he is barking at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to be permanent I have a feeling. My son comes an visits him often and he doesn't have problems with him. Unfortunately he isn't able to have him where he's living an he couldn't bear to give him to anyone. He wants to find a way but life doesn't always allow us. Anyway, hes a great cuddler for me its turned out. I just want us both to be happy which means I need some control so I can take him outside. His barking the more I read is to alert me of people or to let me know hes done I want to come in now. He hates being alone which I knew but didn't think that's why he barked so much.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
Well, if he is going to be with you it will be well worth your time to start training him to walk nicely and to be quiet.

For walking, dogs (and other creatures) have an instinct to pull against anything that restrains them - it's called oppositional reflex if you like to google the theory behind things. So you can train him that when he feels tension as he hits the end of the leash, he relaxes back to loosen it instead. This video shows you how.

So does the barking only happen when he is out alone? What happens if you are out with him? One thing you could try is having a ½ pint yoghurt carton smeared inside with some meat paste, squeezy cheese, dog food or similar; and when he starts barking let him lick it while saying a cue word like ”quiet”. He can't bark and lick at the same time. As he learns the cue word you can start using it first and then giving the yoghurt pot as a reward. Then you can fade that to normal treats and eventually using treats only randomly. Expect it to take weeks rather than days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts