Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone....

I need some tips and quick.. patience is running very low...

We have 1 pure bred border collie 3yrs old and female. We also have a border collie mix 1yr old and male. Both are fixed... and idk if that would matter.

GREAT dogs... But when left alone in the front yard they dig up our lawn and flower bed and won't stop! When left in the back yard they dig holes to China and back. But when left in the house They chew curtains up, shoes, electrical cords..... WHAT DO I DO!!! We have horses and almost every night they go running... I'm not sure its an energy problem as they run ALOT...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!! PLEASE!!! :eek::confused::mad::(

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Perimeter digging is a sign they want out-so are they digging along the perimeter? Like the fence?

Try giving them one spot they can dig (and you can fill it back in) and use a 'no dig' spray elsewhere-as well as correcting them.

They probably need more toys, walks and things to do-sounds like.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do not just dig perimeter... They dig where ever they feels is good.... We have a large dirtt box they can dig in but they don't care. lol. They own like a million toys, frisbie, jolly balls, etc. The border collie cross doesn't like toys... idk y... lol. He is a weird one.

Like i said before.... They go running every night. And its usually for like 2hrs or more...

They both are very well trained dogs and listen very well. They now they are not supposed to dig and only do so when u are not on the property. If you are in the house and they are outside they are still good dogs. But u leave them outside and go to town..... OMG. you get home and you can see Chinas light comin from the hole in the ground. I swear these 2 dogs are half groung hog.... LOL. And leaving them in the house is the same way... If your on the property they are fine... But u leave..... UGH!!! It looks like beavers have chewed through the wiring..... WHAT DO I DO!!!!! :O(

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
invest in a dog kennel with a concrete floor?

How did you train them to not dig when you are there? If they were punished for it that will simply make them do it when you leave...

BCs need their minds worked, exercise will not do it....obediance, trick training, agility, som'thing.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I would invest in a crate if you really take them on 2 hour runs each night and they are still not stimulated. What about during the day/night when you are home? Are they inside? Do they get played with?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I wonder about them doing it when you leave. Are they doing it because they know it's bad and you will punish them when you are there-ie. they are being smart about it....Or are they anxious that you are out and are doing it out of frustration...? I think it's key to identify which to figure out how to go about fixing it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were told to invest in a dog kennel filled with rice... HAHA idk how that would help... I guess a kennel with a concret floor wld be good.. But don't really wanna have to invest in it... might have to tho.....

Both dogs have obedience training and we use it often. They are played with everyday as to us they are part of the family. They sleep in the house.

Mikey..... That is a very good possibilty.. THANK YOU!! It could be they are anxious and get frustrated... Because when we get home they act like its been yrs since they have seen us.... How do we stop that?? is it possible to fix???

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE TIPS AND HELP!!!! CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
We were told to invest in a dog kennel filled with rice... HAHA idk how that would help... I guess a kennel with a concret floor wld be good.. But don't really wanna have to invest in it... might have to tho.....

Both dogs have obedience training and we use it often. They are played with everyday as to us they are part of the family. They sleep in the house.

Mikey..... That is a very good possibilty.. THANK YOU!! It could be they are anxious and get frustrated... Because when we get home they act like its been yrs since they have seen us.... How do we stop that?? is it possible to fix???

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE TIPS AND HELP!!!! CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!!!!
it great that you use their training...but the thing with BCs is they get bored with repetition...I would honestly work on a new trick every week.

how do you act when you come home? If you ignore them 10-15 minutes when you come home, over time they will become much less frantic.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts