Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little chihuahua was bitten on the head and neck today by a giant old yellow lab. These two have dominant issues and i've seen the lab pick him up and shake him. I wasn't here today and don't know what happened. I just paid the mortgage and don't have a penny to take my little Lucky Boy to the vet... :( he has some puncture wounds on the top of his head which i think are not a big deal. I've cleaned them. I'm super worried because under his chin the skin is sagging and is swollen. there is a 1/2 inch scrape on the part where it is sagging and he wheezing just a little... He can barely swallow and i can tell it hurts. I cant tell what is going on but would love to hear what could possibly be going on in his throat. I can take a picture and send it if it's allowed. Please help. I love this little guy so much. I don't have any kids and he's my boy... Thanks for anything you can offer...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm terribly sorry about this. I can't imagine how upset you are. *hugs* I know it's not what you want to hear, but unless you get your dog immediate medical attention I don't know if anything can be done for him. Even if anyone on the board is a vet you can't tell what's wrong with a dog from a photo, there could be internal injuries. Can you borrow some money? Ask the vets for payment plans or put it on a credit card to pay off later? Chihuahuas are very fragile, and can be easily injured or killed by larger dogs. Please call some local vets and ask for help, including your financial issues. Your dog shouldn't suffer and you shouldn't be forced to watch him suffer. I'm almost hesitant to say this but it sounds like if he's having trouble breathing, that his lungs or windpipe might have been affected, and he could be in grave danger. Seriously, first thing in the morning take him to the vet, and figure out the bills later. Otherwise you have to make peace with the chance your little guy might pass away or be permanently disabled.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It could be a number of things going on, crushed, or bruised trachea and esophagus, or the swelling causing his airway to restrict are the two that I know of, but there's probably a lot more. Your boy needs to see a vet, there's no two ways about it. He's in a huge amount of pain and if he's having trouble breathing he's in a lot of distress on top of it. There's also a huge risk of infection, what you see on the surface is the tip of the iceberg, the damage spreads out under the skin, he likely needs antibiotics.

Sell what you can, talk to the animal shelter and see if there are any programs that could help you get him medical care. Check out carecredit, it's a medical credit card that can be used to pay for vet bills, it's what I just used to get my own boy to the vet. Talk to your vet about setting up a payment plan, do what it takes to get him the medical care that he needs.

Reactions: myrottenones

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
That definitely needs medical care ASAP. Depending on the practice, some vets may waive some or all of the costs, or put you on a payment plan for treatment. Very few vets will flat out turn down an animal that needs such critical care. If your dog was sick with cancer or had some undiagnosed, vague disease I don't think they'd be pulling out their wallets. But for emergency wound treatment and antibiotics, they have a clear idea of what needs to be done, what it will cost them and whether it could help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm terribly sorry about this. I can't imagine how upset you are. *hugs* I know it's not what you want to hear, but unless you get your dog immediate medical attention I don't know if anything can be done for him. Even if anyone on the board is a vet you can't tell what's wrong with a dog from a photo, there could be internal injuries. Can you borrow some money? Ask the vets for payment plans or put it on a credit card to pay off later? Chihuahuas are very fragile, and can be easily injured or killed by larger dogs. Please call some local vets and ask for help, including your financial issues. Your dog shouldn't suffer and you shouldn't be forced to watch him suffer. I'm almost hesitant to say this but it sounds like if he's having trouble breathing, that his lungs or windpipe might have been affected, and he could be in grave danger. Seriously, first thing in the morning take him to the vet, and figure out the bills later. Otherwise you have to make peace with the chance your little guy might pass away or be permanently disabled.
Thank you, that's what I'm afraid of. Thank you for your support & I'm taking him in first thing in the morning. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks,
Tina

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be a number of things going on, crushed, or bruised trachea and esophagus, or the swelling causing his airway to restrict are the two that I know of, but there's probably a lot more. Your boy needs to see a vet, there's no two ways about it. He's in a huge amount of pain and if he's having trouble breathing he's in a lot of distress on top of it. There's also a huge risk of infection, what you see on the surface is the tip of the iceberg, the damage spreads out under the skin, he likely needs antibiotics.

Sell what you can, talk to the animal shelter and see if there are any programs that could help you get him medical care. Check out carecredit, it's a medical credit card that can be used to pay for vet bills, it's what I just used to get my own boy to the vet. Talk to your vet about setting up a payment plan, do what it takes to get him the medical care that he needs.
Thank you. I will look into this now and take him in the morning. I leave here to travel into Las Vegas everyday at 5 am so he's coming along this time. Thanks for your support and valuable information. I'll Keep you posted.
Thanks
Tina

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That definitely needs medical care ASAP. Depending on the practice, some vets may waive some or all of the costs, or put you on a payment plan for treatment. Very few vets will flat out turn down an animal that needs such critical care. If your dog was sick with cancer or had some undiagnosed, vague disease I don't think they'd be pulling out their wallets. But for emergency wound treatment and antibiotics, they have a clear idea of what needs to be done, what it will cost them and whether it could help.
Thank you very much. I'm taking him in the morning with me. I'll find a place tonight that will work with my financial well, lack there of. Thanks for your support and i'll keep you informed.
Thanks,
Tina

1 - 7 of 7 Posts