Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting a red, blue eyed, male Husky puppy at the end of this month and I'm so excited! I'm having trouble thinking of a name! I want to have a few names picked out for when I meet him to see what sticks. I hate people names for dogs, I want something unique. I don't want something like Buddy, Wolf or Fang. I have a list of names picked out but I just can't decide and don't know if any of them really stick!
The names so far are:
Cash, Dagger, Honor, Hero, Radar, Rune, Timber, Whiskey

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I like Whiskey! Sometimes though, you meet them, spend some time with them, and a name just hits you!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Try something in a different language. Maybe something in a Native American tongue? Something awesome sounding. ;)

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm partial to Timber as well but I was more looking for people to post name suggestions haha! It will all come down to the day I meet him to figure out what fits, but I want to have a list ready!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
How cute, I love red huskies and white huskies. Out of your list I like Honor, whisky and timber.
Some other suggestions, Koda, Kenai, Dutch. I like Dogs4Jesus's suggestion of native American (or other languages) names.

Reactions: jenna11

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Some of these spring from concepts based off of tundras, forests, adventurers...ect..

Trapper
Nomad
Hunter
Czar (or the more moderns spelling Tzar)
Leader
Traveler

-----
Stormy

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Try looking at baby name websites, you might be surprised by what "people names" actually fit dogs really well, a lot of people names are "out of fashion", so to speak, and can be "recycled" as dog names :p. They usually have a ton of lists with different types of names to look at. I don't have any personal recommendations because I only ever plan on having male dogs and wouldn't know what to name a male dog if it slapped me in the face, but I like to make a list of characters from my favorite television series, books, movies, songs etc for potential animal names. (I have a Jayne from Firefly and a Nomi from Sense8, most of my name ideas come for TV shows I like).

And if you care about having a unique name, I would shy away from names like Koda, Yukon, Timber, and anything wolf or Native American based. I also personally cringe a little at all the huskies given Alaskan and/or Native names when the breed originates in Russia. (I get the sentiment, but it's weird to me) But take that with a grain of salt because I am personally very adamant about my animal's names being somewhat unique.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 3 huskies, and my Red/White, blue-eyed Husky is named Kodiak. The other's names are Yukon and Nikko

When I got my first husky I googled husky names and there was a list of typical husky names, mostly places in Alaska

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Cash, Dagger, Honor, Hero, Radar, Rune, Timber, Whiskey
I like Honor, Hero, or Timber best. Dagger is kind of cool too, and I like Radar but I don't think that name suits this puppy. Not a fan of Cash and I def think "Rune" would be thought of as negative because it's a homophone for "Ruin".

I have seen a lot of Huskies with outdoor/Native or "native sounding" names. I do think they sound good and fitting but if you want an original name you might want to shy away from that.

Was there any theme of a name you had for him? Any image you're going for? Do you have a show name picked out that you want to connect it to? Those are always lots of fun to do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts