Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 wk old puppy REFUSES to go outside 8 out of 10 times. It doesn't matter how many times we go out or how long we stay out he's gonna hold it until we come in. I always clean up right away and never scold or punish. When he does go outside I give lots of praise and treats. I have caught him just as he was squating to poo and rushed him outside. He just held it and begged to come in for so long that I gave in cause I was afraid he'd get constipated. He absolutely does not want to go outside. That's just one example but I could go on and on. Please help me!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey,
Has the puppy had any negative experience outdoors?

Is it very loud where you live, maybe a big city?

I doubt your dog will hold it in for long. How much time do you give him outdoors?

Have you tried taking the puppy further away from your home?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Give us more details. Is it cold now where you live? Where did this puppy come from? Is he otherwise healthy? Do you live in a noisy area? Are there other dogs nearby that scare him?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey. No negative experiences outside but I think it is very different from where he came from. There are trees with loud birds and even louder squirrels. My back door neighbor has a lab the he has seen and got frightened. If one of my neighbors come outside that frightens him. Yesterday the school bus went by and that scared him even though we were in the back of the house. I have stayed out around 15-45 minutes. It's hard when it's cold and he's begging to come in. I have taken him farther away. Thanks for responding to my post.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If he won't go when he's outside, then I wouldn't give him any free reign when you're inside. Every time you take him outside and he doesn't go potty, when you come inside he should go straight into his crate for 10-15mins, and then back outside. Keep doing this until he goes outside, then he can have some play time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done a little of that and couldn't get him to go but I was afraid to continue because I thought it might constipated him??

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
He shouldn't become constipated for holding it for a short while. We aren't saying do this for a whole day. Maybe tell your neighbor the situation and ask if you Could have a little time now and again to have your pup out alone? Just for maybe 10 minute intervals? Also, you said your rather tame sounding environment is different from where he came from but that doesn't tell us where he came from. Because origins of a puppy can tell you a lot about their behavior. And did you by any chance meet his parents? He might also be a genetically fearful dog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I didn't get to see her home or his parents. It had been raining for days in our area and she lives in the country. She said her long dirt road and driveway would be impassable for my car. She has a 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've done a little of that and couldn't get him to go but I was afraid to continue because I thought it might constipated him??
As traciek88 says, he's not going to get constipated having to hold it for a little while. It needs to be clear that going potty outside is what you expect of the dog. To do this you take away all the distractions and focus on this 1 thing. Then when you get the desired outcome the world opens up for the pup. It should only take a few rounds of this for him to understand that going potty outside, no matter the weather, equals fun and treats.

The biggest factor in this whole thing however is you. You need to be consistent and unwavering. Even if it takes you 10 trips before he goes outside. Take him out, wait 10-15 mins outside for him to do his business, if nothing, in the crate for 5-15 mins and repeat. Vary the amount of time that he's in his crate between attempts outside, but always give at least 10 minutes outside time, even if he goes pee, might have to go a couple times to empty his bladder. If it's really cold out, get him a jacket and boots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'm taking your advice. How do I keep him from playing? He likes to pick up leaves and sticks. Do I just keep him on a short leash and take these things away from him when he picks them up? Also, why does he want to chew on me instead of his chew toys? When I clean him up and wipe his eyes he fights me all the way and is constantly trying to bite me or whatever I'm using at the moment: brushes, eye wipes even though I give her chew toys during clean up. He seems to be trying to test me or be the boss or something. Thank you again for your advice b

·
Registered
347 Posts
For outside I would stick with a standard flat 6' leash. Take him directly to the place you want him to potty and stand there. I let my pup explore all he wanted within his 6' reach. Stick with just going to the potty spot for now. Once he's consistently pottying outside you can add short walks. What I do now (pup is 1 year old) is go out to his potty spot, wait 3-5mins for him to go, then go on a walk, stop at potty spot again for 3-5mins go inside. We do this 3x a day on a schedule. Sometimes he needs to go potty in between his walks, and I'll just take him to his potty spot, then back inside.

Also he's not testing you or trying to be the boss. He's a 10 wk old puppy. He's exploring. Any notions that you currently hold about dogs and packs or alphas or anything of the like, get it out of your head. Google Positive reinforcement training. Check out sophia yin and look up kikopup videos on youtube. These will help a lot.

Ever been around a young kid or baby? They want to touch everything and put it in their mouths. Puppies are the same. He's just exploring with his mouth.

For the brushing and wipes you need to work up to using them. You can't just introduce new strange things and expect your dog to be OK with them. First show him the thing, let him approach it and sniff it, (you should be giving treats and each step here) For something like a brush, let him stiff it, give treat, take it away, bring it back, sniff, treat, repeat a few times. Then move on to touch him with the brush, when he doesn't mouth it, give him a treat, repeat this process for a bit, then brush a little bit, treat, repeat and so on. It's the same idea for everything you introduce. Don't go jumping into things, and don't expect it to happen all at once. It's all about baby steps.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend getting your pup into a puppy socialization class, look online for courses that are positive reinforcement and have no more that 5-6 dogs in a class. Get him into this class as soon as possible.

EDIT: forgot to address the chewing on you. For this once he starts mouthing you, redirect with a toy. This should be an escalating set up steps. First time he does it, redirect, second time, redirect, 3rd time, remove him from reaching you (play pen or crate for 30sec-1min works well) then start again. If he mouths after that start at step 1 again. If he takes the redirect to the toy and plays with that for more than a few minutes and then comes back to bite or mouth you again, the steps should restart again. This one can take months for the puppy to understand.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't let that dog train you. He's not going to hold it until he explodes. Give him significant time to go outside, if he doesn't, he goes inside in his crate or leashed to you. And then back outside to eliminate. Be firm or you'll be dealing with this for the rest of your dog's life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you to everybody that helped me with the house training! Bear is starting to understand. Obviously we have a ways to go but he has made a great start. As soon as mommy knew what to do things started taking shape. Now when we go out if he needs to go he does so right away. I can't thank you enough b/c I knew this had to happen just felt kinda lost as to how to accomplish it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts