Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female Rotty is 14 years old. She's past her life expectancy. As of today she still eats twice a day, goes for her walks (a little slow ❤) and drinking water. For the past few months she's been tripping over herself while out walking, she's having trouble getting up at times, sometimes she'll 💩 once a day and if that happens lately she's been going anywhere in the house. She's also been hiding under our bed and in our bathroom. Sometimes I'll find her in the kids rooms.

Some have said that this may be a sign that she's reaching the end 😢

Last time the vet saw her he said to just make her comfortable, that she's old. Not much else can be done. That's all we've been doing... I'm not ready to let go...

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Your pup may be having pain from arthritis, besides suffering from dementia. The vet could give something for pain (Tramadol) and for inflammation (Metacam).

·
Registered
851 Posts
Growing old is no fun! When our beloved furry family members get old it is so hard on us who love them so much. But-- I honestly believe that dogs who live that long do so because they love their owners and family so much!!!

Cherish every moment together. She looks very sweet and loving. I bet she loves you so much! And of course it is apparent how much you care about her well being and love her, too.

It does sound kinda like doggie dementia maybe, but I don't really know too much about that so I can't offer you any help, except warm wishes and comfort.

Sending doggie hugs and "virtual biscuits" to your sweet baby--- and peace and comfort to you:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is she happy when you go on your walks? If not, maybe she's in pain and might want to stick closer to home. I think of my older relatives and it can be hard for them to get around, and it's like that for older dogs. Give her supplements, probiotics, or anything else your vet recommends to make her as comfortable and healthy as she can be. It's so hard to know what's best since they can't talk to us and they always want to please their family and therefore might push their limits more than they really should. Only thing I can say is make every day count. Fulfill a bucket list of happy things she likes and see what things make her happiest and use that as your guide to how she wants to spend her days.

I bet her happiest times are just having good quality time with you and feeling loved and cared for.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Have you looked into natural remedies for arthritis? I know some people use devils claw root for dogs with arthritis. Theres a liquid form, but it tastes gross so they sweeten it, & syringe a tiny bit into their dogs mouths. They said the dogs are very comfortable on it. Write ups I've read say its safe to use.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have an aging Sheltie, and he is just on the cusp of that breed's life expectancy. He has been having trouble getting up for years, but that is due to arthritis and also possibly to a foray he managed to make into my neighbor's grape arbor years back (grapes can cause kidney failure). He bounced back from that adventure after a year or so, but he still has arthritis. Our other Sheltie died on the back porch of a beach house we were renting, and that was very traumatic, besides ruining a perfectly good vacation. As to this guy, we take the attitude that as long as he is eating well (and he'll eat anything put in front of him!) and seems to enjoy life, it's up to him. We haven't had any of the other symptoms you describe, but that doesn't mean we won't. It's just hard to let them age in their own way and to let them go when it's time. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sister runs a dog sitting service in her home, and from that I see her as an expert in knowing what a dog wants and needs.Mack, my dog, started showing worsening symptoms of his old age around June this year. I would take him to the vet, but doctors would just tell me to keep him on his diet, and give him some regular exercises/walks.
In the end, I was wasting time and money from getting the same advice that had no results.
Melody, my sister, also noticed Macks depletion of his energy. She would always tell me that the food I was giving to my dog, was literal poison, and should have never been trusted. I care for my pug as I do a little brother. I just didnt give myself the time to stop and see what I was giving my dog. My sister refferd me to ToTW, Taste of The Wild, pet food brand.
After only 2 months, Mid August, My dog jumps around either asking to go out, play, or barks at my mom while shes cooking in the kitchen, asking for food lol.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W5SLB8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=01027b-20&camp=1789&creative=9...

The link is because it's cheaper on amazon, and my Pet Super Market is always sold out.
Online Shopping for the win!

Share with me your reviews if you have tried it, or are willing to and share the results!
#PugLife

·
Registered
125 Posts
My mom told me that a dog doesn't want to die in front of her owner. Greggy slowly hide anywhere, i don't know if it is same as yours but maybe you're right. He's too old already, just let him feel your love always. God bless and i hope he's doing well now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts