Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's not the puppy's fault, I know, but here is my problem:

I have an 8 week old female boxer. I know she needs to learn biting inhibition, and my husband and I practice with her. But when I yelp and go limp, she just continues to play. I try to ignore her, she's all over me playing still. I also have a 3 year old and the puppy nips her more and tries to bite her clothes. This terrifies my child and she doesn't want to be around the puppy. I try to calm my child and help her play with the puppy, but the puppy gets excited, bites more, and my daughter cries as she's being scratched and bit. Help!! No matter how much stuff I read I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I know the problem is me, but I'm frustrated and don't know what to d. My daughter is covered in scratches and stays on the couch when the puppy is around. She can wrestle around with our Shih Tzu, who's 4, but she's not used to a crazy energetic puppy. Please tell me what I need to change to fix this.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Since the yelp method is doing nothing (and that's how it is with some dogs it gets them more riled up), make a space/block off a room with a baby gate and whenever she gets rambunctious and is biting put her in the room for a time-out.

And I strongly suggest keeping your puppy on a leash while interacting with your child so you can pull her off your baby BEFORE scratches and biting can happen. Otherwise do not have them interacting. They're both babies and neither deserves to be in pain.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
First, this is not your fault. It's normal puppy play. Puppies play like this with their litter mates and they have to be taught not to use their mouths on people. I'll put a link in below.

Your daughter is probably too young to participate in the training shown on the video. I'd limit the play and only have your daughter interact with the pup when he's sleepy/tired. Have them sit on the couch together while your daughter calmly and gently pets the puppy. If the puppy gets playful, time to have puppy do some simple training and play time with you.

I'd enroll your puppy in a puppy socialization class ASPA. This will allow him to play with other pups of a similar age and will provide an outlet for that puppy play. Puppies this age are experiencing their socialization period. He needs lots of positive experiences with friendly puppies, dogs and people.

At home, you can begin teaching simple behaviors such as sit and come. Use food treats to reinforce behaviors you want to see repeated. Ignoring behavior usually is less effective because it increases frustration for the puppy and they often increase their frantic attempt to get you to play.

It's easy to miss opportunities to reinforce a puppy for calmly laying down chewing a toy or walking nicely to the kitchen, or the many good things they do. Being observant and capturing these moments and rewarding them with tiny food treats and praise really does work.

The late Dr. Sophia Yin wrote a great book called Perfect Puppy in 7 Days. Highly recommend this for you.

I don't think it's a bad thing to let your daughter keep away from the puppy when he's overexcited. I'd also crate train him so he has a safe place to chill out when you can't supervise.

Take a look at thisvideo. This trainer has many good videos. She uses a clicker to train but it's not necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I can't edit as too much time has passed. I meant to type ASAP as far as enrolling in a puppy class. I could hardly type this without typos. lol I typed pupply class the first time. Thank goodness for spell check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts