Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Let's start by telling you about my dog. She is a beautiful half German Shepherd half Akita (Japanese). She is very friendly, loving, calm... She is pretty much the perfect companion. Me and my boyfriend adopted her at about 3 months old, at first she was a pain to potty train but we have finally gotten her to the place we want her to be.
We have noticed though, that when we leave her alone (although alone is with our other dog, he is well trained and just over a year and a half) she is the one that scratched and eats through walls and doors. We know it is her as when we get home, whether it be 1 hour or 4 hours, her nails are filed down and she has drywall and paint stuck to all parts of her. We believe it is anxiety that makes her act this way, we have never really left her alone and she really is never alone she is always with her puppy companion Bear. But when both me and my boyfriend leave to go out she freaks out and has destroyed 2 doors now and the wall and frame around the door. Trying to escape. We tend to lock them in the bathroom ( it is a large room) when we leave since its a safe tiled room with blankets, water, food and toys. We really don't know what else to do. I am hoping someone can suggest a way to train her or ease her stress. We try to put music on but that doesn't seem to make her any happier. The other dog does not participate in scratching as his nails look untouched compared to hers which have been filed down, a little too much if you ask me.
If anyone has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated. This is the second door she has ruined and its becoming expensive and she is my adorable baby. I could never get rid of her. Now I am worried if I start working full time she will do this every time I leave as she is more attached to me than she is my boyfriend.
Thank you friends :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
How old is the dog? Really, it sounds like you can't leave this dog free in a room because she gets destructive and can harm herself. Have you ever tried crate training? With dogs with SA, crates can be a godsend, or they can just cause the dog to harm herself trying to get out. It's still something to consider. Thundershirts are another tool that sometimes help. To clarify a feature of separation anxiety, it's not so much that the dog is "alone" but that you, the owners, have left. So it doesn't matter if the other dog is there. It's sort of like how a child will cry when Mom and Dad leave, even if older siblings or Grandma is there. They're still not Mom or Dad.

It's a good idea to get her some toys that can keep her occupied like kongs or "busy buddies" that can be filled with treats. But if her anxiety is that severe, you will likely need a trainer or behaviorist. I would suggest contacting one for guidance because SA can be very sad and difficult, and difficult even for some trainers. In the meantime here's a good video on a training process to help alleviate this. I would also recommend the Patricia McConnel book "Don't Leave Me!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUEGrhoQis

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello,

Let's start by telling you about my dog. She is a beautiful half German Shepherd half Akita (Japanese). She is very friendly, loving, calm... She is pretty much the perfect companion. Me and my boyfriend adopted her at about 3 months old, at first she was a pain to potty train but we have finally gotten her to the place we want her to be.
We have noticed though, that when we leave her alone (although alone is with our other dog, he is well trained and just over a year and a half) she is the one that scratched and eats through walls and doors. We know it is her as when we get home, whether it be 1 hour or 4 hours, her nails are filed down and she has drywall and paint stuck to all parts of her. We believe it is anxiety that makes her act this way, we have never really left her alone and she really is never alone she is always with her puppy companion Bear. But when both me and my boyfriend leave to go out she freaks out and has destroyed 2 doors now and the wall and frame around the door. Trying to escape. We tend to lock them in the bathroom ( it is a large room) when we leave since its a safe tiled room with blankets, water, food and toys. We really don't know what else to do. I am hoping someone can suggest a way to train her or ease her stress. We try to put music on but that doesn't seem to make her any happier. The other dog does not participate in scratching as his nails look untouched compared to hers which have been filed down, a little too much if you ask me.
If anyone has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated. This is the second door she has ruined and its becoming expensive and she is my adorable baby. I could never get rid of her. Now I am worried if I start working full time she will do this every time I leave as she is more attached to me than she is my boyfriend.
Thank you friends :)
You have to crate train. I have a lab whose 9 months and she will be crated till 2-3 years like my other dogs before I will ever trust her alone. If I didn't then everything would be eaten lol she's even crates when I'm home when I can't supervise her. Eventually I'll start leaving her out one hour at a time to test her. My first lab was three before he was awesome alone on his own. Even then, he has a set back when we had to leave him for eight hours for the first time. He ripped up a book we left out and scattered it through the house lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts