Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m desperate for advice. I have a Shar-Pei female and she is 3 years old. I’ve had her since she was a puppy, and she’s always lived inside with me, in my room. Recently my parents purchased a new home and now they refuse to allow her inside because she’s shedding. They keep her in some sort of wooden kennel (not made for dogs) and it is winter where I’m from. She doesn’t have a thick coat of fur like other dogs because of her breed. She’s really owner-oriented and absolutey loves being around me and my parents. I’ve told my parents numerous times Shar-Pei’s are NOT outdoor dogs and I’ve given them examples of how my dog will not be happy outside but their excuse is that the dog that gave birth to my dog has always lived outside her whole life and was fine. I told them it doesn’t make it okay to keep them outside. How can I best take care of my dog? Or how can I convince my parents to just let her in! I’m so heartbroken.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Hi. There are a few of us from the UK here. ;)

If it isn't an actual dog kennel, what type of kennel is it? Could you post a pic?

Is there any room that isn't carpeted that could be designated as a dog room for her? Would they be willing to invest in a heated, insulated dog kennel so that at least she's protected from the elements?

Ultimately though, parents' house, parents' rules. They pay the mortgage and, to some extent I can understand why they wouldn't want a dog shedding all over brand new carpets.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. There are a few of us from the UK here. ;)

If it isn't an actual dog kennel, what type of kennel is it? Could you post a pic?

Is there any room that isn't carpeted that could be designated as a dog room for her? Would they be willing to invest in a heated, insulated dog kennel so that at least she's protected from the elements?

Ultimately though, parents' house, parents' rules. They pay the mortgage and, to some extent I can understand why they wouldn't want a dog shedding all over brand new carpets.
I’m so sorry, I called it a freaking kennel 😂 When they bought the house it was already there. It is not a kennel, it is more like a mini tool shed. Which would definitely not be warm/comfortable enough for a dog 😖

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
I’m so sorry, I called it a freaking kennel 😂 When they bought the house it was already there. It is not a kennel, it is more like a mini tool shed. Which would definitely not be warm/comfortable enough for a dog 😖
Is it big enough for her to stand up, turn around, stretch, etc? Is it big enough for a stool or a chair for you so that you could spend time with her?

Would your parents at least be amenable to insulate and heat it? If so, with a nice cosy dog bed, her food and fresh water, plus some chews and toys, it wouldn't be so bad.

I do sympathize with you. I personally don't see the point of having a dog if it can't be in the house with you, but as long as it's big enough for her to stand up, turn around, stretch etc, and she's provided with food and water then legally, they're meeting her most basic needs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Grooming will also help to keep shedding under control; regular brushing with a bristle brush or a grooming mitt will keep your Shar-Pei's fur looking neat, reduce the amount of loose hair, and will stimulate healthy growth as it will disseminate natural oils through the coat." This was gotten from this site: Do Shar Pei Shed? [What Can Owners Expect With This Breed?]. My dog sheds a lot, but we have a special hair-brush (or fur-brush?) that removes loose hair and minimizes her shedding if groomed regularly. Here's an example: Dog brush

1 - 5 of 5 Posts