Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,so very recently my mother came home one day and handed me a small Labrador puppy.It was very unexpected and out of the blue. He is now 6 months old and I can not handle him,should I give him away or be more patient,give him time,and work harder on training? I'm just very overwhelmed and stressed about this,please give some advice!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
6 months is when a lot of dogs get given away, because of the time demands of a dog that is more mobile, needs training, is larger, and labs stay 'kids' for a long time. No one can answer the questions you asked except you. Do you want to take the time to train this puppy? If so, stick around and everyone will help you with advice and suggestions. If you are truly overwhelmed, don't really want a dog or the responsibility and time it needs, find it a good home.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't want a dog, and you know that it isn't the right time, then you shouldn't have a time. Bottom line. Spend time, put up ads, look for people that you know that can provide a good, supportive and loving home for this dog. Do NOT just give it up to a shelter because you have no idea where it could end up. Your mom got this puppy for you even though it was wanted, but now it's your responsibility to find it a good forever home. Please do the right thing and put in the effort to make sure it ends up in good hands!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you were never planning in having a dog, ask yourself if you think you can take care of the dog. If you don't feel that you can take care of the dog in the best way possible, send it to a loving shelter or a rescue, or try to rehome it yourself.

I'm praying for you and I hope everything goes well!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Labs are A LOT of work at 6 months, I know. But I can also tell you, if you put in the effort, they do settle down. Unfortunately, in my experience they don't learn how to use those brains until they're 3 years old.

If you feel you can't handle it, if you don't have time, if you don't have money, then yes you need to rehome him. Simple. They aren't a breed that take being resented/ignored well. They love their people and need to know you love them back. So if you can't then you need to find a suitable home or rescue for him to go to.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
If you do decide to rehome, please find a reputable rescue to go through. Selling or giving away dogs on Craigslist can end up very badly for the dog. Did she get the dog from a breeder? Maybe the breeder will take it back?

As others have suggested, you can take training classes, etc but if you don't want a dog right now, this process will be tough on you.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Spend time, put up ads, look for people that you know that can provide a good, supportive and loving home for this dog. Do NOT just give it up to a shelter because you have no idea where it could end up.
Actually the dog is better off being surrendered to a reputable shelter rather than just "putting up ads". If you just put up ads and meet a seemingly nice person the dog might end up with a lunatic like the one who murdered all those dogs from Craigslist. Many shelters these days are no-kill and have rescue partners. Purebred dogs and dogs under 1 year get pulled by private rescue groups and adopted very quickly.

I would recommend you contact a Labrador rescue group. They know the breed and could easily find a home for him. It sounds like you don't want this dog, never wanted this dog, and probably kept him out of a feeling of obligation and guilt. If you really want him then try to train him with the help of professionals, but otherwise just find him a good home. And tell your mom to get you gift cards instead of live animals as presents next time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Labs are lots of fun, but take a lot of patience. They go from puppy stage to senior, lol. They have to be entertained, when bored, they get destructive. Exercise and obedience classes are helpful. They are very smart and will try to outsmart you. You have to be the Alpha. Positive reinforcememt was the key for me and keeping her busy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Actually the dog is better off being surrendered to a reputable shelter rather than just "putting up ads". If you just put up ads and meet a seemingly nice person the dog might end up with a lunatic like the one who murdered all those dogs from Craigslist. Many shelters these days are no-kill and have rescue partners. Purebred dogs and dogs under 1 year get pulled by private rescue groups and adopted very quickly.

I would recommend you contact a Labrador rescue group. They know the breed and could easily find a home for him. It sounds like you don't want this dog, never wanted this dog, and probably kept him out of a feeling of obligation and guilt. If you really want him then try to train him with the help of professionals, but otherwise just find him a good home. And tell your mom to get you gift cards instead of live animals as presents next time.
I wasn't referring to "just putting up ads" and letting whoever comes take the dog away and that's that. Obviously I meant to do it in a responsable way, if it happens that the person doesn't have any friends/family they already know and trust who would want to give the dog a home. If a reputable shelter in the area is available that is always an option, however there aren't always shelters that you can rely on and often they are usually full. If there's any way the person can find a loving home for the dog with someone they completely trust, I think it's better than giving the dog away to a shelter that already has a ton of work and lack of space trying to find homes for dogs. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately this is why giving an animal as a gift is not a good idea, the intentions are good, or they know for a fact that the person receiving actually has asked for a pet. If it's truly not wanted you would be better off rehoming to a good home. Keeping a unwanted animal in long run would not be good for you or the dog. If you do want to give it a try, go to training classes that will help with setting up some kind of foundation. Good luck to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts