Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old toy poodle bischon frise mix. She is the sweetest little thing and is very good natured. The past few days her behavior has been off completely. She is eating fine, urination and bowel movements normal...health-wise nothing out of the ordinary. What is abnormal is the constant whining, digging on furniture and blankets, being connected at the hip more than usual, and panting at times she shouldn't be. There is no aggression and she acts normal when other people are around, but when it's just me and family members who live in the house, she reverts back. I thought she had improved over the last day, but she started it back up tonight.

It's almost as if she can't get comfortable and is paranoid. Last night I finally got a good nights sleep and was able to sleep in this morning. The other days, not so much...very little sleep trying to make her happy. I'm at a loss. A friend said she thought it might be anxiety. We have had a few changes in the household, so I don't know.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want my sweet little girl back!!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Panting at inappropriate times is often a sign of pain or discomfort. A vet check would be a good idea, especially if the behavior changes happened overnight.

Otherwise, are the any unusual sounds in neighborhood? My dog gets that way when things like fireworks or fire alarms go off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No unusual or out of the ordinary sounds. Quite a few changes though. We recently moved. My hubby was home for a month after a surgical procedure, and has now returned to work. My son has a small dog now that he brings over too.

The move, obvious change for her. Concerning hubby, she wants on the bed and goes to his pillow, lays completely on it, and whines. She's never done that. Regarding son's dog, I've allowed it to sit in my lap, lay on her pillow, and have showed new one attention close to what I'd show my girl. I didn't think about it at the time, but then noticed she avoided her pillow. I washed it, and she has returned to using it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It's probably just the major changes in routine then. My dog is experience something similar - after a year of always having someone with her except for short 1 - 3 hour stints a couple times a week, she now has to spend 6 - 9 hours alone with only a lunch break outing. She's exhibiting a lot of the same behaviors as your dog, only she's added super reactive and nippy to the mix. I'll admit, I bought a calming aid which has helped some and we're seeing the vet this week to make sure it's nothing medical. But I'm mostly convinced that she just hasn't been able to get comfortable/confident/secure because of the major change in her routine.

Our major change took place about 5 weeks ago, and Bree is finally settling down. I don't know if it's the herbs I'm giving her (she's been on them for almost 2 weeks now), the hiking and off-leash time she's had or she's just finally use to the schedule, but she's not as panicky as she was right after the change in schedule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts