Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since quarantine. I had no chance to bring my dogs our for a walk. its been 10 days and counting. But my country now is really strict on quarantine measures. Where they would even arrest a solo jogger at the park. My dogs came from the same batch of dogs. Both rescued mongeral. They always were not on good terms, but it was never really that serious. Their big fights were only cuz once they were stressed out in the vet and i made a mistake to put them in the same vet kennel. Most of the time if they had their walks they are fine with each other. But since the quarantine started i cant bring them out. Plus they are outdoor dogs, so i cant be by their side 24/7( i live in my parents home, and they do not allow dogs to be indoor). They have ample space in the front yard. However they dont like to play with toys. I tried to stimulate their mind with playing with them, but it doesnt seem to be enough. The fight the past few days have been really bad to the point that one of them is bleeding from the feet(dont worry i bandaged it up). What i do notice is its only one of my dog that attack another. She has always been the more dominant one, even though she is slightly smaller than the other dog. She has always been a scary cat dog that jumps and gets antsy whenever there is something new or loud. and she gets agitated easily during thunderstorm of if a stranger passes by the house, and turn her aggression on the other dog. But usually it last a few secs and does not actually attack my other dog. But since i cant walk them i think she is more stressed than usual. I need advice on how to deal with the situation while still being compliant to the quarantine.

·
Super Moderator
1,289 Posts
The first thing would be to separate them so they can't hurt each other.

Then, training and brain work is actually a lot more tiring than physical exercise so start training tricks or scenting.

For scenting, get some pieces of cloth and put them in a jar with some cloves to get them to smell.

Then, for the next few days, hide pieces of food. When your dog finds them, he can have the food and you reward with another piece.

When the cloth is ready, hide those, with a piece of food. Your dog should find the food and by default, the cloth. Keep rewarding with another piece of food.

Then after a few days of that, hide just the pieces of cloth. When your dog finds these, you can reward with a piece of food.

For tricks, you can train walking backwards, spinning, weaving through your legs, covering their eyes with their paw, jumping through your arms - there are hundreds of things. Look on YouTube for Kikopup who has loads of great videos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing would be to separate them so they can't hurt each other.

Then, training and brain work is actually a lot more tiring than physical exercise so start training tricks or scenting.

For scenting, get some pieces of cloth and put them in a jar with some cloves to get them to smell.

Then, for the next few days, hide pieces of food. When your dog finds them, he can have the food and you reward with another piece.

When the cloth is ready, hide those, with a piece of food. Your dog should find the food and by default, the cloth. Keep rewarding with another piece of food.

Then after a few days of that, hide just the pieces of cloth. When your dog finds these, you can reward with a piece of food.

For tricks, you can train walking backwards, spinning, weaving through your legs, covering their eyes with their paw, jumping through your arms - there are hundreds of things. Look on YouTube for Kikopup who has loads of great videos.
how often do you suggest doing this and for how long? as i still need work from home , but only have limited time early in the morning and after office hours.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Keep an eye on the injury and keep it clean - this wouldn't be a good time for it to get infected. Are you able to separate them physically? If not, could you come up with some makeshift arrangement, or explain to your parents that if they are left together one might kill the other so one should come indoors for the time being?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts