Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I am new here and I am looking for some advice, or to see if anyone else has gone through this.

I have a 9-10 month old plott hound rescue puppy. Hes hyper and loving. He runs all over the house, the dog park and the yard no problem.

When I take him on walks on our road he is fearful and wont walk unless I take him with his dog brother and sister, then he is perfectly fine and happy.

I am a runner and would like to eventually make him my running buddy. HOWEVER, he wont run with me!! When we go on trails or roads he freezes. So i took him running with his sister ( who is 11 ) and he was almost perfectly fine. He wanted to stop a few times but did great other wise.

2 days later i took him with his brother and he just wouldn't go. he froze.

He runs REALLY FAST back to the car or our home!

I have tried dual leash and i have tried separate leashes.

Has anyone gone through this??? Any tips on how I can get him to run with me???:ponder:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would say start walking him along, he will freeze a lot but that's how you build confidence. Let him know it will be okay and start walking. Make sure the collar is tight enough that he won't back out. When he starts making progress lots of praise, whether its treats, or verbal praise. He will build confidence and trust in you. He relays on the other dogs because he knows "Oh if its okay for them then its okay for me" So i would just take it slow and he may even catch on quick. Sometimes all it takes is to get past one point and then they are good. Some take longer then others. Go at your dogs pace not your pace.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would use a harness instead of a collar and take him with the dog he will run with and praise and treat him when he runs well. Do it for 2 weeks then try him alone again and go slow don't push him. If he freezes go back and run him with the other dog for two more weeks then try him alone again.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It sounds to me like he's not even completely leash trained, so expecting him to run with you is too much. If he won't walk without another dog, than you have more work to do before he can run with you. He needs to be confidently walking with just you before introducing running. Some dogs take longer than others to get leash trained, but if you take him out walking alone every day, I bet he'll get it quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts