Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, could really do with some help please. We have a 5 year old large cross breed who has a problem when it comes to cutting his nails. He just wont let us do it. He gets distressed and gets angry when we try. We have tried treats and desensitation on both touching his nails and introducing the clippers but despite all efforts he simply wont let us. His nails are really long and we are really worried so any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sometimes dogs just don't like you clipping their nails. For a couple of years I brought my dog to Petco and so long as I was not in the room, she was fine. After a few years of fighting with me, she just gave up one day and let me clip them. She does prefer the dremil, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check with your vet if they'll do it for you or perhaps a local groomer. It's usually not that expensive. My vet only charges $15 to do nails. I do my dog's nails and teaching them to sit still for nail trimming is easier to do when they are younger, but it sounds like you've tried different things already.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I clip a lot of dogs' nails. I've found most dog behave best if their owner is not there. I've had the owners holding their dog and the dogs struggle and pull away. Now my BF helps hold the dogs and they behave much better. It may be best to have someone else clip the nails for now. As they get long the vein (quick) grows longer too. You don't want to nick the quick. Just keep working with your dog, but you may just have to force the issue. Nail clipping is something that has to be done.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I clip a lot of dogs' nails. I've found most dog behave best if their owner is not there. I've had the owners holding their dog and the dogs struggle and pull away. Now my BF helps hold the dogs and they behave much better. It may be best to have someone else clip the nails for now. As they get long the vein (quick) grows longer too. You don't want to nick the quick. Just keep working with your dog, but you may just have to force the issue. Nail clipping is something that has to be done.
My little guy simply flips out when I try to do it, but when MY bf holds him (and not super tight or forceful or anything), he seems to take a deep breath and relax and I can actually get all of them done in one sitting!

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I just choose not to mess with it and have a groomer do it. I've found one that will do it for $6, which is very reasonable. I do stay and hold my dogs' heads while it is done as it generally keeps them standing still but overall the groomer does a far better job than I could anyway :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just choose not to mess with it and have a groomer do it. I've found one that will do it for $6, which is very reasonable. I do stay and hold my dogs' heads while it is done as it generally keeps them standing still but overall the groomer does a far better job than I could anyway :)
For $6 I'd let I'd let someone else do it too.

Your situation isn't impossible OP. It can take weeks or even months of work to get a dog to relax for a clipping.

Most of the time people pull out the clippers, treats and the clippers and expect their dog to behave with 10 minutes of work. In reality it can take weeks of daily desensitization to get the desired result.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I just choose not to mess with it and have a groomer do it. I've found one that will do it for $6, which is very reasonable. I do stay and hold my dogs' heads while it is done as it generally keeps them standing still but overall the groomer does a far better job than I could anyway
For $6 I'd let I'd let someone else do it too.
I had to hunt a bit to find this woman (she operates out of a local pet supply store) and I admit I got really lucky. My vet charged $18 to have a tech clip my little terrier mix's nails. Most groomers around here charge in the $10-$15 range. This new woman also clipped my Aussie's feet at no charge and said her price for a full groom is $45 (it's nearly $70 anywhere else). She has a lower overhead than most I'd imagine but still.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Most dogs do not having their feet touched or worked on. Since Samantha, poodle/bischon mix, must be groomed every month, we just let the groomer take care of it, and yes, I'm sure since neither my wife or I are in the room, she is more passive about having it done.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've heard the squeezing action of clippers can cause pain to some dogs who have extra sensitive toes. I used to clip my girl's nails and she hated it - would growl, mouth me, bare teeth - really extreme. When my husband distracted her with treats it was better, but then she did a huge yelp on one nail! I panicked, thought I'd clipped the quick, but no where near it. I thinks she has super sensitive toes.

I then tried a dremel, and after 2 weeks of desensitizing her to it, she's pretty good now. I still have to give her treats, but she'll let me do a whole paw without pulling it away - huge difference from the clipper, and way less scary without concerns of making a mistake.

Try the dremel route. :)http://www.dogforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It would seem to me the dremel would be less upsetting to any dog, at least as far as sensation. I believe the clippers the pro's use are so sharp, they cut through the nail before any squeezing occurs. For us, since Samantha goes to the groomer every month, anyway, it just works best to leave it up to the groomer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You could also ask your vet for a tranquilIzer and sedate him to trim nails at home. I prefer a dremel as it will cauterize the quick if you happen to hit it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.