Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant find anyone to help me. My little chihuahua was bitten on the head and neck/throat today by My giant old yellow lab. These two have dominant issues and i've seen the lab pick him up and shake him before. I wasn't here today and don't know what happened. I just paid the mortgage and don't have a penny to take my little Lucky Boy to the vet... :( he has some puncture wounds on the top of his head which i think are not a big deal. I've cleaned them. I'm worried because his throat is swollen and the skin is sagging . there is a 1/2 inch scrape on the part where it is sagging and he wheezing just a little. He's having a hard time drinking. I cant tell what is going on but would love to hear what could possibly be going on in his throat. I can take a picture and send it to you if it's allowed. Please help. I love this little guy so much. he's my boy... Thanks for anything you can offer. I'll be taking him tomorrow to the vet but without any money i don't know if they will even look at him... :(

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
He could be developing an abscess, which is an infection. Dog fights will also leave a lot of swelling and bruising. That may be why he's wheezing...His neck is swollen and it's stressing his trachea.

I work at a vet clinic and no, they probably will not see him unless you can pay for an exam. You can phone ahead to find out how much that is. It's usually between $40 and $60. I would suggest applying for care credit. It's a special credit card that can be used for health care, and most veterinary clinics accept it. The other nice thing is that they give you 6 months interest free to pay it off. You can apply here: Healthcare Financing Credit Card | CareCredit

You can also consider selling some of your belongings to pay for his vet bills....A smart phone can go for several hundred, and you can downgrade to a cheap flip phone or track phone for a while. TV's also sell pretty good, especially if it's a newer HDTV. Maybe you have furniture you didn't really like anyway. You can also cancel any subscriptions like cable, or downgrade your internet. At least temporarily. It'll help you pay off care credit if you get approved.

There's also this thread, which might be handy...Lots of tips and suggestions for how to afford vet care: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/if-when-you-cant-afford-vet-26920/

In the mean time, I would suggest fully separating these dogs. Permanently. Or at least until you can hire a behaviorist to help you out. What you've described is not dominance. It's aggression. And you're very lucky the chihuahua was not killed. A behaviorist can help you figure out what's triggering the aggression in the dogs, and how to figure it out. Here's a thread on finding a force free behaviorist or trainer to help you out: http://www.dogforum.com/training-be...ainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I cant find anyone to help me. My little chihuahua was bitten on the head and neck/throat today by My giant old yellow lab. These two have dominant issues and i've seen the lab pick him up and shake him before. I wasn't here today and don't know what happened. I just paid the mortgage and don't have a penny to take my little Lucky Boy to the vet... :( he has some puncture wounds on the top of his head which i think are not a big deal. I've cleaned them. I'm worried because his throat is swollen and the skin is sagging . there is a 1/2 inch scrape on the part where it is sagging and he wheezing just a little. He's having a hard time drinking. I cant tell what is going on but would love to hear what could possibly be going on in his throat. I can take a picture and send it to you if it's allowed. Please help. I love this little guy so much. he's my boy... Thanks for anything you can offer. I'll be taking him tomorrow to the vet but without any money i don't know if they will even look at him... :(

I posted in your other thread some things you can try to get him seen by a vet.

Call, or show up, at your local animal shelter and ask about programs that may be in place to help owners such as yourself.
CareCredit is a medical credit card that can be used for vet bills, they should be able to help you apply at the vets, or you can look it up on the computer and apply yourself.
Sell what you can to raise some money, some vets will take a down payment and then set up a payment plan.
Talk to your vet about a payment plan.

I'm so sorry that happened to your boy, I know you must be horrified and heartbroken. I sincerely hope that he makes a full recover.:huddle:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted in your other thread some things you can try to get him seen by a vet.

Call, or show up, at your local animal shelter and ask about programs that may be in place to help owners such as yourself.
CareCredit is a medical credit card that can be used for vet bills, they should be able to help you apply at the vets, or you can look it up on the computer and apply yourself.
Sell what you can to raise some money, some vets will take a down payment and then set up a payment plan.
Talk to your vet about a payment plan.

I'm so sorry that happened to your boy, I know you must be horrified and heartbroken. I sincerely hope that he makes a full recover.:huddle:
Thank You Very Much. This is my first time on here and i have no idea what i'm doing yet. I'll take a look at my other thread. Thanks for responding. You are the only one besides an email from the site because i contacted them too. I will take him in the morning. I'm just praying that he will be good again. Thanks again... I'll keep you updated.
Tina

1 - 4 of 4 Posts