Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog named Tiger is a cross between a Pomeranian and a street dog. He is about 13 years old. I am not too sure of his age since we found him in a house that we rented. He was about 3 years when we moved in. He was initially very friendly and obliged to everything. He would let us get him bathed, cuddled, etc. But, one fine day, he started acting weird. He never lets people touch him or cuddle him. He never lets anybody to get him bathed. He is hardly approachable.

Recently, he has developed some kind of an itch that never seems to abate. We guess it is because of the lack of bath. We tried mixing some medicines meant for healing the highly scratched skin. But, the medicines seemed to work just for a day or two and he was back to the initial problem. He has lost a lot of hair on his posterior and tail regions. His skin looks purplish and full of lesions. His skin also stinks. We don't know what can be done in this regard. If there is an expert out there, please guide us to help our dog who is suffering so much.

Thank you in advance,

Mamta:confused::(

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
you need to take him to a vet...this could be all sorts of things....it may be his thyroid...an allergy....the sooner you can have your vet start figuring out what is wrong with him, the sooner you can help him to feel better...good luck and keep us posted as to what you find out....
sending healing vibes your way!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
He's senior-at this age he should be seeing a vet AT LEAST twice a year and especially for changes like this.

Cost is an issue with a lot of us especially given these hard economic times. If cost is an issue -Call your vet and make an appointment. When you get there -let them know how much you can pay that day and ask when you can make payments for the rest. That way you'll be more comfortable if is a bigger bill. I always tell them when I get there how much I can afford and that if it goes over that we need to do payments or phone my parents for $ ;)

It's imperative when there are changes like that, that he does see a vet. Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all,

The vet visited my home and examined him. He said that the dog needs to bathe and then the infection will abate. But my dog won't submit himself to getting bathed. The vet said he will do it himself for a fee. We are fine with it. But the only problem now is that the vet said that since the dog is pretty old now, he might have a tough time while taking bath and it could lead to trauma. He also says that it could cost him his life since he is too old now.
Thanks for the replies. I will keep you guys updated

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Please keep us posted!!!

What is very important for bathing a rabbit probably really applies to your dog. When we bathe a rabbit (only when absolutely necessary as they can be traumatized and get sick from it) it's important to go slowly and calmly, and use warm water (not scalding, check on your wrist, but make sure it's warm enough that you'd get in it)-lather and rinse. Then towel dry several times-and then wrap in a nice fluffy dry towel and keep them warm until they are fully dry-often I've seen people's newly bathed pets (dogs, cats etc) shivering after a bath. With a senior this is important-make sure he stays warm until he's very dry!

I'm sending some {{Healing Vibes}} for Tiger and some {{Easy Bath}} vibes for you ;) Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all,

I have some good news for you guys. Today, the vet came home and he himself got my dog bathed. I was wondering how my dog would react. He was initially petrified. But later gave in. He was calm (though he tried pathetically to bite the vet). The vet somehow managed to get him cleansed completely. Finally, he is not scratching so vigorously like he used to. I think I will get him bathed by this vet every 15 days. Hope he recovers soon :) Thank you all for your support :)

Cheers,

Mamta

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Thank you for the update :) That's wonderful your vet bathed him for you :) They sure know how to handle animals.

does the vet know what caused the itching?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems it is some kind of a skin disease that will abate after a couple of baths. That was probably due to the excessive ticks on him. After about 9 years, he has been sleeping well only today! I really am pleased with his response. I wish he heals completely in time to come :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts