Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am aking for advice so please be kind.

Our dog (Husky) is starting to become agressive and I cannot afford any professional help.

We have young children around and my husband said if there is one more incident, we will have to find her a new home. I cant help but agree. I love my dog VERY much, but I also can't imagine what I would do if she hurt someone (or worse!)

Any advice on what to do?

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Hi Biante78,

First of all, I want to welcome you to the Dog Forum.

Can you please describe what is happening in more detail? What kinds of incidents have occurred? What have you and your husband done so far to try to prevent incidents and change your dog's behavior?

Since you mentioned having young children, I'd like to recommend that you study the resources in this thread:

http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/safety-children-babies-dogs-115969/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our dog will just randomly be agressive for no reason. She will show teeth and snap at us out of the blue. She has bitten us and broke skin. She will then be fine for weeks-months before it happens again.

I dont know what to do and cannot afford professional advice. So TBH, I hevent 'tried' much. How do you 'train' an agression that is totally random?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
How old is she? Is she spayed? How long have you had her? Has she always been like this or is this new behavior? What was happening in the situations when she was aggressive and who was the target? Please be as detailed as possible- maybe we'll have some ideas as to how to help!

If this is a new behavior without a discernible cause I would bring her to the vet- she could be sick or injured and acting out due to that.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
This ain't good. Bites tend to increase in severity. A vet check is a really good idea. I would also check into local CPDTs and see if anyone will offer you a package deal on private lessons, or even possibly offer you lessons at a discounted rate.

If you rehome this dog, please be upfront about the bite history. When dogs are shuffled around without mention that they will bite humans (remember, as I said above, that bites tend to increase in severity) they are ticking time bombs that could severely injure or maim an adult, child or animal.

There is no fix-all solution for aggression because it has so many causes. Some of the most common ones are
a) The dog is guarding a resource (a special food, place, object or person)
b) The dog is fearful and feeling intimidated
c) the dog has a medical condition (injury, mental illness, epilepsy)
d) The aggression is redirected (the dog was upset over something else, but bit the closest body to their own)

Really, professionals need to be involved here. Or surrender the dog to a rescue or shelter, disclose the bite history and they will assess whether the dog can be safely adopted out to a new family or not.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
- keep your children away from this dog.
completely!
this is important!

- If there's a sudden change in behaviour, you need to get them checked thoroughly by a vet. it could have a medical reason.

- train your dog on a muzzle, so they can't bite you.

- after you made sure that you and your family are safe then you can try to find out what situations make the dog "tick out", then work on the issues by reducing stress and rewarding the behaviour you wanted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is 4 years old and we have had her since a baby. She does guard her food and her 'spot'. There is not usually an issue as I just leave her alone when she is eating or in her spot. But there are other times when I cant figure out any reason for her behaviour.

Thank you for the advice. I will think long and hard about what to do.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
She does guard her food and her 'spot'.
I would say you have enough evidence from these two behaviors to start anew with her overall training and have the dog earn everything. A period of social isolation might yield some benefit as well.

I'm curious, are there times where the dog nudges you or solicits you for attention/"affection" and you comply ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts