Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting-- I was hoping I could get some advice/help on dog behavior.

I have a super sweet pooch-- he's a 3yr old Leonberger/Golden retriever named Max. We got him from the shelter when he was 1, and the folks there suspected his last few owners had been abusive towards him. Despite having a rough past he is the absolute sweetest dog, so good around kids, and we've never ever had aggression problems with him.

However, today he was very aggressive towards other dogs while he was tied up on his leash. My boyfriend and I brought him to brunch; we had him tied to a post in a shady spot right next to us. A few dogs had walked by without incident. But then when a Golden retriever stopped by to sniff at him, he lunged and was extremely aggressive. We thought that maybe this was a one off incident, but another, smaller mix-breed pup walked by to sniff him-- same thing. Very aggressive, lots of barking/snarling and tried to bite this other dog.

We are so alarmed by this behavior as we'd never seen it before. He is never aggressive on walks/on-leash so we are super concerned why this happened. If any of you have some insight on what might cause it and how we can better correct this behavior I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
R & Max

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies, they were so very helpful. I guess Max and I have some socialization to work on.
@loosie, no he hasn't had much experience being tied up next to us before. We've only recently trained to *properly* walk on-leash without pulling, and I wondering if that also could be contributing to his new on-leash stress/aggression.

@TheRubyCavalier, thank you for sharing that paragraph! I took a look at the book you recommended and will definitely add it to my to-read list!

Thank you both again :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.