Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I literally just read about this behavior yesterday! I bought "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson for my kindle yesterday and read almost the entire thing in one day. It. Is. Fantastic.

Anyway, she writes about dog aggression when tied-up or trapped behind a fence: "Dogs in general behave much more aggressively on leash than off. This is due to a couple of effects. The first is barrier frustration. Barrier-frustration also contributes to the aggression and displaying observed in kenneled dogs, dogs who are tied out, and dogs who fence-fight. ... Many have also suggested that tie-outs and fences provide too well-defined territory and this effect is responsible for the huge increase in aggression in these dogs. I don't personally buy this as a primary cause. Dogs who are timid or aggressive with people or dogs usually need remedial socialization, not fuzzier territorial lines. A well-socialized dog will watchdog bark and then go through all the normal motions: he will excitedly sniff and greet the newcomer, hopefully offering appeasement behaviors. An undersocialized dog will watchdog bark and then stay back, growling, make tracks to somewhere else in the house and hide, or oscillate between approaching and avoiding, probably barking the whole time.... Another flavor of on-leash dog-dog problem occurs when dogs who would choose to increase distance - or approach indirectly - are prevented from doing so by the leash. if the dog is motivated to flee and is thwarted, Plan B aggressive display may pop out and then be reinforced by the withdrawal of the other dog, often as a function of the other owner, sensibly, backing off." She also mentions that often times dogs who fight through a fence can become fast friends once given the chance to properly (to a dog) meet and greet off-leash and barrier free.

Based on what she says and what you've described (and loosie was on this track as well), I think what your dog truly needs is much more experience meeting other dogs while restrained (Jean Donaldson apparently has a whole book about this). Your dog was fine watching other dogs pass by, but when the Golden came to say "hello", Max wasn't able to react properly and took his frustration out on the other dog (same with the smaller dog). You said he's never aggressive during walks so maybe the difference is that he was tied down. On leash, if he needs to move away you can usually tell and move him away from the other dog. But this time he felt trapped.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.