Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had Sage my German Shepard lab mix for about 5 years, when my parents first brought her home you could tell she had been abused in some way she was very skiddish and headshy and not very playful for a (assumed) 1 year old pup. She immediately formed an attachment with me but her behavior hasn't changed much. She's always been very scared of everything and stressed out but also very lethargic and sleeps a lot, doesn't really play with toys or play at all for that matter. The only time she ever seems very happy is when anyone is petting her she LOVES attention, more than any dog I've ever met she can not ever get enough attention. And she loves to lick hands. She's always been a good dog never really growls or barked at people just very mellow unless she's going bonkers about licking your hand. So when I started dating my boyfriend about a year ago it was a little odd that she growls whenever he walks into my bedroom. Sometimes if it scares her she lets out the most terrifyingly loud bark as if he's going to murder us all.. And no matter how mic time he spends with her or how many treats he gives its hardly changed anything. So if anyone has any idea what we could be doing to ease her stress or to strengthen their relationship please I am ready and waiting for your advice.
My apologies for the long post I figured anyone that can help would need some backstory

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Although your dog just may have a weak temperament and a behaviorist might help, I would first rule out any medical problems first. The lethargy and dullness of activity could be a sign of thyroid problems and I would specifically have a thyroid blood panel done in addition to a full work up.
Meanwhile have your boyfriend ignore her, not even look at her, let her decide if she wants his attention and then have a high value treat ready!
Have him drop a treat everytime he walks past her (but don't look at her or speak to her!)
Maybe she'll realize he is the bearer of good stuff and is not to be feared!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately we have tried those things and so far they haven't mattered at all. She likes him when he's petting her but that's it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately we have tried those things and so far they haven't mattered at all. She likes him when he's petting her but that's it
I will also absolutely get that checked out I've read that a few times today about the thyroid issue and I'm surprised no one ever said anything about it to me before in the 5 years I've had her

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.