Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for some help because I have now taken my dog to 2 different vets and the results have been minimal.

My year old dog, Sequoia, had an ear infection about 2 weeks ago. I gave her the topical ointment the vet prescribed and it cleared up, but she developed open sores similar to cold sores on the corners of her mouth and below her canines. I didnt think much of it as they cleared up rather quickly. Well, then she started itching her face and now she has open sores all around her eyes including the corners and eyelids and around her nose. We took her to the vet again last week and they treated her for an allergic reaction giving her steroids and antibiotics. She has finished her meds and is still itching the sores which turn to scabs then to fresh wounds after she itches them. It looks as if she has some dry skin on the inside of her ear as well almost like yeast but it does not have a yellow tint. Also, she had a skin scraping done and turned up negative for mange.

If anyone has any idea of what to do to help relieve her itchiness or leads on whats causing this, that would be helpful.

Also, I did change her food to Blue before this all happened so I thought she may be allergic to that but I changed it back to Taste of the Wild and shes still itching... Thanks for the help and advice :)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. What is the protein in the foods you have been feeding? Do you give any treats? What is she rubbing her face on? Did you start using a new detergent or carpet cleaner?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Buffalo was chicken but she eats chicken all the time and has never had a problem. Taste of the Wild was bison, but once again, thats been constant throughout her life since its an all stages food. I do give her treats but nothing new and not too often. Everything in her life other than the dog food has remained pretty constant. Can i post pictures in this forum? If so, how?

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Hi!
Our female catahoula had the exact same thing, and even her eyeballs would turn red. She can only eat lamb/barley/rice dog food, that's ALL! We used to have her on Azmira, delivered from Wisconsin, about 85.00 a bag! But now she is on Beyond One by Purina, which only has two vegetables that are different from Azmira Lamb and Rice, the sweet potatoes and can't remember the other veggie. It is only about 22.00 a bag. Good luck!!!! Hope you find the right food for her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!
Our female catahoula had the exact same thing, and even her eyeballs would turn red. She can only eat lamb/barley/rice dog food, that's ALL! We used to have her on Azmira, delivered from Wisconsin, about 85.00 a bag! But now she is on Beyond One by Purina, which only has two vegetables that are different from Azmira Lamb and Rice, the sweet potatoes and can't remember the other veggie. It is only about 22.00 a bag. Good luck!!!! Hope you find the right food for her.
It's so strange- she must have just developed this allergy because she eats everything under the sun. How long did it take for your dog to process the allergy? Also, what meds did the vet put her on? Any suggestions for her itch? Thank you do much for the response :):)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
When she was adopted last year she had the allergy and scratched and itched so bad, she was 4 months old when adopted/rescued. It took a dozen trials of every dog food, including natural ones/organic, Blue Buffalo, Science Diet, Prescription foods, wet, dry, and on and on. She was absolutely miserable until Azmira and now Beyond One Lamb and Barley. We think it is corn, chicken, beef, but mostly the grains as she won't eat milkbones, crackers, cereal!!!! She politely takes it and then drops it on the floor! Even the chicken and beef, real meat!!! It took about two weeks on the lamb mix to stop scratching and about 3 weeks for the scabs to go away. No meds were used bec. none worked if she was eating the food.
We have another catahoula female who ate a black walnut, started drooling, was lethargic and then went into liver failure and almost died! She still has an allergy problem but the doc has her on a prescription food that has corn and other vitamins she needs due to the liver problem...we will switch her to the Purina Beyond One as soon as we can...she itches her face/muzzle too. She had both sarcoptic and demodex mange and has been treated intensively, REVOLUTION has helped immenseley for her...but she still scratches, not as bad though. Check ASPCA's toxic plant website, look for stuff she may have eaten in your back yard, including anything with lichen, blue green algae (standing water or fermented fruit/black walnuts, etc.) also mushrooms. We figured it out as our dog led us right to what she was eating in the back yard!!! Sheesh. I would recommend you immediately get pet insurance, Trupanion is excellent; Our vet bill for the second houla was over 3500. and the insurance paid 90%, thank goodness!!! (I sound like a marketer, but I am not!!)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Blue Buffalo was chicken but she eats chicken all the time and has never had a problem. Taste of the Wild was bison, but once again, thats been constant throughout her life since its an all stages food. I do give her treats but nothing new and not too often. Everything in her life other than the dog food has remained pretty constant. Can i post pictures in this forum? If so, how?
Sometimes even if they have been eating it for years they become allergic to it. It could be the food has changed or the way they process it has changed.

A Photo would help....when replying be sure to be in advanced...scroll below text box to manage attachments...click on it.. browse to find image..then click upload...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts