Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time here.. I need advice. I have a 11mth old Havanese and this is his 3rd time being groomed. I wouldnt normally get him cut so short in the colder weather but he had some matts under his arms (from his harness) so the groomer had to cut him short. The other 3 times he has been fine, and this time he is acting strange. He wont walk, he stands outside and shakes. I bought him a sweater, doesnt work. He use to love his walks, now its a struggle to get him to walk 10 feet. He isnt himself and I am wondering if there is something I can do, or will it just pass? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
i had read something on line about behavior changes in long haired dogs after a very close hair cut. something about sensations on the skin and razor burn....i don't know. the only thing i would be worried about is false cause, or coincidence. maybe lynnemarie will chime in....she 's been grooming dogs for a long time and has lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your suggestions and concernes. Yes his face and wiskers were trimmed. It is breaking my heart he wont walk. I just took him outside and again, he walks a little, then he stands there and shakes. I dont know what to do, if I should bring him to the vet or see if it passes. It will be a week tomorrow he was groomed. I dont even know if it has to do with that?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Some dogs are more sensitive to having their wiskers trimmed than others: Should you trim your dog’s whiskers? I'm not familier with what AWP was referencing but that wouldn't surprise me. But I'm thinking they trimmed his wiskers to far this time.

A vet check isn't a bad idea if it continues though, I'm not sure how long it'll take them to grow back in.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Is it only on his walks that he's acting different? Have you checked to see if his skin is irritated where the mats / where the harness hits?

If his skin is irritated try using a collar to walk him while his skin heals. You can also try just sitting outside with him on his leash, let him sniff around and toss him treats for a little while once he seems comfortable try walking him.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If he is burned under his arms apply baby powder with corn starch. It will sooth, dry and help prevent skin rubbing. If he does not have any sores then I would bathe him in a warm bath. He may have fought while getting the matts shaved out and is muscle sore. Lather him good so to give his whole body a massage.

May I ask how you felt when you picked him up and saw him shaved? This may sound crazy but if the owner is in shock and is not to happy with the groom. The dog feels this. Try not to feel bad for his hair cut. Tell him how nice he his and love all over him...:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked under his arms and he looks fine, I dont notice any irratation. I wasnt the one who picked him up from grooming, my husband did, but I am sure he would of been sweet and told him he looked good :) I am worried if I give him a bath, then he will just be all cold after... I am confused! Everyones suggestions are great and make so much sense, I just wish I could pin point what it was so I can help him feel himself again.. I think I may take him to the vet tomorrow, I hope they dont laugh at me and tell me he's just cold ;) I am genuinely concerned.. The difference in him is to much to ignore.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I really do not think he is cold..Is that a picture of him with the hair new hair cut as your avatar? If so he does not looked skinned really close. How does he act when you pet him?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that is him, but that picture is was from the last time we had him groomed. His hair was pretty long this time before we had him groomed (2inches).This time he is a little bit shorter then how we had him in the summer, like I can see his pink skin short... He is fine when I pet him, and he is typically fine when he is inside. It is as soon as we go outside, he starts shaking. I took him for a walk today with a dog we usually walk with, thinking that may motivate him to walk, and he walked a little, then he would stop and shake. I would pick him up, and he is shaking so much, he is getting out of breath (he does have a heart murmur, so the shortness of breath isnt new to us) but seems to be worse this last week since his new haircut, maybe he is stressed? I am so unsure what to think

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Do you know if the same groomer groomed him?
Normally shaving a dog will not cause them to act that much differently. It sounds like he had something happen that scared him while he was there. I do not think a vet will laugh at you for getting him checked out. It could be physical or psychological. Ruling out the physical will help you know how to handle it from there. I am not saying he was abused or anything like that. He could of been in a kennel and another dog attacked it. You just never know. Did your husband say he acted different when he picked him up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was the same groomer we have always taken him to, she does it out of her house and has 2 little Dogs who my dog loves to play with. I have contacted her and asked her as well if she has any advice for me since she has been doing this for years and she is meeting me tomorrow to get the dogs together, so we will see what happens then.. I will ask my husband when he gets home how he was when he picked him up! Thanks for everyones advice, it is much appreciated! Fingers crossed he snaps out of this!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Could something have happened to him outside? You said he is fine inside but starts to shake and not move outside. Anything new outside? New neighbor? Any construction?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't have much to add, but your story reminded me of when we first got our cocker spaniel poodle mix (she was 4 yrs old at the time) and had her groomed (we had no clue about grooming dogs and went for the really short cut). She too was not herself afterwards, and shaking like a leaf. It was in the summer time, and very hot, so we knew she wasn't cold.

I think she was just kind of shocked, and she had a few injuries, two near her snout and one in her private area.

Your sweetie-pie does not have injuries, but he still could be stressed and sore, like someone mentioned before! I hope he feels better soon, my heart goes out to you both!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think anything happened to him outside, he is always on a leash and with us. Bluemchen, thank you for your story and kind works, gives me hope he will snap out of it!! :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
is it windy out? i can't find the thing on line i mentioned. it wasn't an article or anything....just some thread on a forum or something.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts