Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lilly has a red spot that popped up a couple weeks ago. It doesn't seem to bother her and there is still hair over it.....She is allergic to fleas and takes a Nexgard and a Heartgard once a month. I have tried putting coconut oil on it (no help). I put some Miconazole Nitrate on it once and it turned darker red. Today I tried Hydrocortisone cream and it didn't make a difference....I am wondering if it is a ringworm?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Can you take her to the vet? If you suspect ringworm you really should as it's contagious to people and a nightmare to get rid of out of your home. What kind of dog is she by the way? Some breeds like Pit Bulls are prone to skin issues. Have you tried a bath with some oatmeal or sensitive skin shampoo? Is she around certain environments where she could be allergic to something? Either way I think you should def see a vet if possible, because skin issues can sometimes be contagious to people and other animals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes…I will be taking her to vet. Just wondered if anyone could tell if it is a ringworm. She is an American Bulldog and is allergic to flea bites. The spot first appeared when we were camping a couple weeks ago and I thought she may have had a bug bite or gotten into a plant she had a reaction too. Her primary vet is 100 miles from home. There is a vet here in this tiny town but he mainly does cows and stuff and I haven't had good results from him in the past.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Even if the vet isn't great with the actual services most vets have the resources to do ringworm tests. Perhaps you can call and ask beforehand?

Reactions: kcinokc

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Looks like a fungal skin infection. If so, hydrocortisone will ease any itching but will make it worse in the long run. The vet should help you out with an appropriate treatment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts