Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,369 Posts
Welcome to Dog Forum!

The instances you described sound like she was simply startled by what she perceived as weirdness (hat and sunglasses, person and bike suddenly approaching). That doesn't seem too unusual. Neither does barking at strange noises or doors. Some dogs are simply more alert and vocal than others.

Can you explain more about correcting Cocoa? When, why, how?

As Dibby said, dogs go through a second fear period and her reactions could be due to that. If she were my dog, I'd want to work on helping her feel safe. As Dibby mentioned, don't allow people to approach or pet her. You can use counter conditioning to help build positive associations with strange people and objects.

Both of these resources were written for dogs who are already reactive, but contain useful information on the basics of counter conditioning and should help prevent Cocoa from actually becoming reactive.
Reactivity, On Leash Aggression, and Barrier Frustration
Care for Reactive Dogs – prepCARE

Also in the sticky section, you might want to check out Impulse Control and Calmness. Both are excellent skills for any dog.

· Registered
2,369 Posts
I was fearing that, that means i wasnt a good leader for cocoa. I am planning to take her to dog obedience classes. I also need to learn better ways to approach cocoa. Shes not fearful or a scared looking dog. But can her defensive behavior such as barking at people or dogs across the street or the park be based off fear?

Thanks cookie you're a big help.
Doesn't mean you're not a good leader / guardian - just means you're still learning. We all are. :)

Yes, acting protective or defensive can (and often is) based on fear. I find that in the moment, fear, excitement, and "aggression" can look similar. Certainly folks with more dog knowledge will notice differences, but it can be difficult if you don't have as much experience with a variety of dogs.

does her being 7 months and not spayed matter at all? My girlfriend keeps saying everything will be fine once she is spayed. I doubt it though.
As was mentioned, age may be a factor as dogs experience a second fear period around this time. I wouldn't count on spaying fixing anything. Work through this using positive / force-free methods and, I'd recommend, consulting a professional who can see your dog in person and offer you practical advice for your situation (see the sticky on finding a good trainer / behaviorist). It will take time (after almost 4 years, I still need to manage my excitable girl on walks but she's come a long way), but it's definitely worth it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.