Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
:D I loved reading this. This is my dog and I's life as well. We even had some idiot on a bike come our way, jump off and throw his bike down, then reach down to pet Tucker in one fast, fluid motion. Then he got offended when Tucker started barking. Like, dude, you freaked ME out when you did that, think of how my five month old puppy feels. Now Tucker is very wary of bikes.

I don't have the best advice since we're working on it our selves, but time and practice has been great for him. I try to be as calm and unsuspecting as I can when I walk him cause now we live in a subdivision as well. Also, he does better when he's tired. When we start our morning run he may bark once or twice at everyone he sees. By the end of it though he doesn't so much as look at them. We had it so that he wasn't barking at all but it's gone out the window since we've moved.

I don't know the specifics of your dog exactly but after having mine since he was 8 weeks I believe that some dogs just aren't social. Since the day I got him I had him in public at a college town and, without overwhelming him, had plenty of people pet and play with him. Since that first day I also remember him sort of blowing people off. He didn't mind them, but he wasn't as interested in strangers like most 8 week old puppies are. He's a great dog but he's been a real challenge to socialize. I took him on a hike yesterday in fact and he either warning barks once at people or stares at them until they pass or I say leave it, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. I want to say Tucker started his barking around 5 months old, so yeah. I'm not a dog expert, and I definitely think you can get her to stop barking, but I think some dogs are just naturally not as social as others. Like people :)

Hope this helped some. I'm gonna be looking for the advice on this thread as well XD

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.