Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My dog Lucy is being extremely unruly lately and it has been making me crazy! She was a rescue from Tenessee. We don't know much about her situation due to her being found on the side of the road by a good citizen. The women then took her in and adopted her out through another organization. Anyways she has been having horrid behavior lately and I don't know why. When we got her she kept to herself and minded us very well. Just recently, she has started pulling on the leash and refusing to move if she wanted to go another way. We tried solving that problem by getting her a chain martingale which worked wonders on our last dog but we had had her since a puppy so we got to be part of the training process from the start. The martingale has worked somewhat. She still refuses to move at some points during our walks but for a much less amount of time. When ever I try and start a training session everything goes smoothly until the 2 or 3 minute mark. Then she starts getting really nippy with the treats and the clicker for some reason. She also growls and barks at me if she doesn't want to do something. I then proceed to tell her to go sit in her bed in time out which also worked well on our last dog. She then waits until I turn around and runs around the house. I have tried to be consistant putting her in her bed but its so darn hard to catch her. Then on top of all that she is ALWAYS on the couch. I try and tell my parents that she shouldn't be allowed on the couch but they always make up an excuse for her to be allowed on the couch. She is climbing on the arm of the couch as I am typing. She jumps from one arm to the arm of the chair. When we aren't home she climbs all over our beds and leaves a mess. She loves my parents room though. She likes to climb onto their bed and pull the covers out for herself. We have to close all of the bedroom doors so she won't go in and destroy things. The only reason that we don't lock my parents door is because they don't have one. She also does this thing where if she wants something she will stand there and bark at you. That is highly annoying and not to mention embarrasing when guests come over. She has stolen a few pieces of food from the table on occations as well. She is also an escape artist. She just tried to run out the door when my mom opened the front door to call my sister in. I have been known to run around my neighborhood chasing her because she got out. She got out onto the main road one time and there was an ambulance at someones house and she got in the middle of it and a police office had to help me catch her. The accident wasn't caused by her but it was still so embarrassing! She is also known to not get along with other dogs. My best friend has a dog that she wanted to introduce to her but she attacked hime even though he was twice her size! That is the least of my worries though. I can live with her not getting along with other dogs but all of the other things I listed above really need to get taken care of and I have no idea where to start so I turned to you guys. Can anyone help me? Thank you and happy Sunday!
-DoggyTalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Most of that sounds like a basset hound. First thing you really really need to stop comparing her to your past dog. Each dog is an individual, learn differently and behave differently. Next, how old is she and how long have you had it? Normally it takes a few months for a dog to really settle in and show their true personality. I'll try to go through your problems one by one.

Walking on lead. Pulling is common and you just need to teach her how to walk on lead. The stopping and refusing to move is a common basset hound trait. Some are worse than other. My basset, Shorty will do this. He is a lot worse with my BF then he is with me. What I do is give him a treat when he is walking nicely, but do it randomly. After a couple of days he would keep up with me with minimum problems. He will still stop more often with my BF, but is doing much better.

Getting nippy during training is probably over stimulation. Try training just to the point she normally starts acting up. Also I've found with some dogs if the treat is too high value they can't focus.
Barking is a hound trait, some can be real talkers. They are also known to be stubborn. Have you trained a real solid 'place' or 'bed'? If not you can't expect her to stay there. You need to work up to it. I wouldn't chase her around, it could really be a game for her.
Furniture, I can't really help you there. I let the dogs on the furniture. I see no reason not to. If you are following the old 'don't let them on the furniture or they will think they are the boss' that thinking has been debunked. If you want her up on the furniture let her, no harm to it. If you don't EVERYONE has to be consistent about it. Otherwise it won't work.
The only way to keep her out of rooms you don't want her in is to close the doors or put up baby gates. Also crate her when you are not home or she can not be watched if she is getting into things.

Barking at you. Good luck. Basset hounds bark. Shorty does this all the time. He barks when he wants something, when he is excited, when he plays, when he gets annoyed at other dogs. They bark, a lot. I can shush him for a minute, but he starts up again. If you can't take the barking then Basset hounds are not the breed for you.

Stealing food. They are also food hounds. You need to keep food out of reach. Shorty is not as bad as some and he knows leave it. But some things are just too tempting. Shorty once ate 3/4 of a pumpkin pie I had made. And not too long ago my BF came down into the kitchen to find Shorty walking on the counter. And when he was younger he took all the cans out of the cabinet and took the labels off them. He also got into the powdered sugar, flour, mashed potato flakes, dried pasta and I can't even remember what else. It was when my BF was in the hospital and I was up there all day with him. When we leave all trash cans must be put up and all cabinets locked or he will get into them. I've tried training, it's easier to manage it.

Running away. Thankfully I don't have that problem. I can let him off lead and he listens very well. For door bolting try training her to sit while the door is opened. Make sure to have a lead on her while you do this in case she does bolt. Chasing a dog that is out loose is counter productive. Instead try sitting on the ground or running away from her while calling her. Use food or a toy to get her attention. Start recall training on a long line and make sure she is getting enough exercise, both mental and physical. Bassets may look dumb and act it, but they are smart dogs.
Other dogs, not all dogs get along. I'd try walking them together first, on neutral ground. She could be fearful or just not like other dogs or that particular dog.

Basset hounds are barky stubborn dogs, most of what you are saying is pretty normal. They take a lot of patients sometimes. Work with her and take it slow. Try to end all training sessions on a good note, even when she tries your patients. Good luck.

Reactions: Rain and Sabina88

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@annageckos
Thank you so much for all of your help! I know that when I wrote this i was very angry and frustrated and just trying not to take it out on her. I have just been missing my old dog a lot and its hard for me to go from calm, easy to handle, and well behaved to the polar opisite. I love Lucy though and I really need to get in a different mind set when handling her. Habits are hard to break though so I have to accept that training Lucy is going to be hard. Not impossible but much harder than the last one. I talked to my mom today and when my whole family is home I will anounce the new "no furniture" rule for Lucy. This way we won't have to constantly be washing the couch covers and lysoling it from the smell. I do understand that they bark but she has been doing it a lot more than when we first got her and that was the only reason that I was concerned. When she gets at the food its usually when someone is holding it in their hand which really annoys me because that is really testing us when she does that. I have trained her to go to her bed when asked but she always "forgets" when it actually needs to be done. She has been overbearing lately and I'm wondering if its because shes finally comfortable in her new home and with her new surroundings. It has been almost six months since we got her. She is around three years old and she acts like such a puppy but I have been told that Bassets tend to act younger than they really are maturity wise. Thank you for your help and I love your Basset's name!
-Doggytalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sometimes you just need to take a step back and calm down. Trust me, Shorty still test my patients and he's 12 now. If she smells really bad maybe look at what she is eating. Shorty has a very unique smell, not bad but odd. He smells like corn chips.

For stealing food from people have you worked on leave it? Shorty is surprisingly good at it, one of the few things he's learned. But at that age he was a PIA. Or crate her when people are eating. Do not feed from the table, I've seen the difference it makes not feeding from the table.
It was probably when he was around five or six that he calmed some. He was never real hyper but would get into things if I wasn't there. When he was younger we did a lot of outside stuff. Walks, running in the woods, walks on the river(basset hounds are not good swimmers). He had to wear his lifejacket at the river, he had tried swimming, shook his head and started to sink. I know that part of the reason he was not worse was because he followed my GSD around and copied her. And she was the *perfect* dog, very smart and well behaved.

It sounds like she could be settling in now. I've just given in to Shorty's barking. Not that I give him things when he is barking, but I'm used to it and try not to let it get to me.
And here, hopefully this lightens the mood and reminds you bassets aren't always bad, noisy food stealing big mouths.

Reactions: Rain and SusanLynn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@annageckos
Yes they are wonderful dogs. I will work on leave it once we master the basics. Shorty reminds me so much of her! She sits just like that on the couch and puts her paw over her face too! She has that same "odd" smell. When we first got her it was really bad so we gave her a bath but the smell was back the next day. It wasn't as strong as before so we tried another bath. That still didn't work so we didn't want to strip the oils from her coat so we took her to a proffesional groomer and she told us that was normal and that we would adjust to her hound smell soon. We laugh about it every once and a while because if your not used to it, it sort of smells like feet. Thank you for all your help! Lucy is currently wearing her socks as she sleeps so I might wait to do a training session. She is rather grumpy when she has to be woken up. Thank you a million!
-DoggyTalk
(and Lucy!)
(P.S I will look into a life jacket for her. We are advid campers so that will be useful over the summer months.)

·
Registered
911 Posts
No problem, if you ever want to ask me anything just PM me.

I only bath him once or twice a year, if he gets muddy it flakes right off when it dries. Makes things easier. I'm sure Lucy will love camping. I use to take the dogs camping with me, they always loved walks in the woods and splashing in streams.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@annageckos
Thank you so much for all of your help! Do you mind if I friend you?
-DoggyTalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.