Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

New here and also a new dog owner. I've never owned a pet before but am co-raising my 2.5 month old Morkie with my boyfriend.

We brought him home 5 days ago and he was very scared at first and has slowly started to come out of his shell. Playing, exploring a few parts of our home and is just getting use to being outside. However, he hasn't been eating very much at all!

When we picked him up we were told he's been eating Purina Puppy Chow, but they weren't really sure when or how much because they just left the bowl out for the puppies to nibble at when they wanted. We bought Royal Canin Puppy food but he won't eat. He doesn't really like us watching him eat in general but i've been putting the bowl down periodically throughout the day the past few days and then moving it so I know if and when he's eating. He's only been taking a few small kibbles at a time in the morning and in the evening. Today though, he's not interested at all.

He hasn't eaten since last night and every time I try he just turns his head. As a new dog owner and a puppy mom this is concerning my greatly and breaks my hearts because I don't know what to do.

Please help!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi there,

New here and also a new dog owner. I've never owned a pet before but am co-raising my 2.5 month old Morkie with my boyfriend.

We brought him home 5 days ago and he was very scared at first and has slowly started to come out of his shell. Playing, exploring a few parts of our home and is just getting use to being outside. However, he hasn't been eating very much at all!

When we picked him up we were told he's been eating Purina Puppy Chow, but they weren't really sure when or how much because they just left the bowl out for the puppies to nibble at when they wanted. We bought Royal Canin Puppy food but he won't eat. He doesn't really like us watching him eat in general but i've been putting the bowl down periodically throughout the day the past few days and then moving it so I know if and when he's eating. He's only been taking a few small kibbles at a time in the morning and in the evening. Today though, he's not interested at all.

He hasn't eaten since last night and every time I try he just turns his head. As a new dog owner and a puppy mom this is concerning my greatly and breaks my hearts because I don't know what to do.

Please help!
Did you make a slow transition? I don’t care for purine either but if that’s what he’s use to then you need to slowly mix the food over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you make a slow transition? I don’t care for purine either but if that’s what he’s use to then you need to slowly mix the food over time.
Yea we've been trying to transition and he won't eat that either. We also tried eating a bit of wet and dry, also not working sadly. :(

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
How about restarting putting him back on the Purina for a couple of weeks then slowly moving to the other puppy food?? :)

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts
Personally I'd take him to the vet, he needs to go anyway for a wellness check. Any number of things can cause a puppy not to eat including the kibble being too big for him, him being picky, and medical reasons. Given his size he will not eat a lot at any one serving just 5 or 6 kibble is likely to be enough to fill him up.

With a puppy that small you need to be aware of hypoglycemia, he simply does not have the fat reserves to not eat and the condition can be deadly. If he is not eating and begins to get lethargic that's a couple of the signs of it https://purinaproclub.com/resource-library/pro-club-updates/hypoglycemia-requires-quick-intervention-in-toy-breeds/

If you do notice the signs of it try rubbing some syrup on his gums and get him to the vet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I'd take him to the vet, he needs to go anyway for a wellness check. Any number of things can cause a puppy not to eat including the kibble being too big for him, him being picky, and medical reasons. Given his size he will not eat a lot at any one serving just 5 or 6 kibble is likely to be enough to fill him up.

With a puppy that small you need to be aware of hypoglycemia, he simply does not have the fat reserves to not eat and the condition can be deadly. If he is not eating and begins to get lethargic that's a couple of the signs of it https://purinaproclub.com/resource-library/pro-club-updates/hypoglycemia-requires-quick-intervention-in-toy-breeds/

If you do notice the signs of it try rubbing some syrup on his gums and get him to the vet.
Thank you! I've already made a vet appointment because I've heard about how bad hypoglycemia can be.

He did end up eating a tiny bit last night thankfully. But still going to take him to the vet none the less to make sure i'm not missing anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about restarting putting him back on the Purina for a couple of weeks then slowly moving to the other puppy food?? :)
If he doesn't eat much this afternoon my other half is picking some up on his way home from work and hopefully he'll eat that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

Please help!
I just got a Morkie a few days ago and same problem here. She wasn’t eating and then she would eat if I hand fed her. Now she won’t eat but a couple vittles at a time. I plan on taking her for a wellness check tomorrow. She seems fine and is very energetic but it still worries me because of the hypoglycemia factor. I have a syringe with honey in it just in case. I wouldn’t worry too much. If the puppies are hungry they will eventually eat but try hand feeding. It may make a difference...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’d recommend going to your local pet stores. They usually have samples that your puppy can try. Purina and royal canine are foods that are usually high in carbs and don’t have much animal meat. Try picking out different brands and food wet and dry. You could also try adding bone broths on top. But I highly encourage checking out your local pet stores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts