Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog ate a half of a rat that usually live in the basement. But I did notice that he already vomit all them. Luckily he is sort of a picky dog. But I am concern about his health. Is he going to be okay? Please dog's lover out there! Please give me some answer.....:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,634 Posts
Had you poisoned the rat or was it a pet rat?

I would call the vet and just see if there's any signs to be watching for. Rats carry disease. If this was a pet rat, it's probably a lot safer for the dog b/c there should be less disease and no rat poison in its system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
Is your dog up to date on all vaccinations? Is there any chance the rat has gotten poisoned? I have American Pit Bull Terriers and they take the "terrier" part of their name seriously. They have caught and killed both rats and rabbits in the yard at one time or another.

As long as your dog is in generally good health, UTD on vaccines, and regularly de-wormed and/or checked for parasites you don't have anything to really worry about. Of course, if you see any strange behavior or indications of illness head right to the e-vet or your regular vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,313 Posts
Is there any chance the rat has eaten poison?

If so, this is a Medical EMERGENCY and your dog could die in hours.
You must take him to the vet immediately for treatment.

Rat poison causes uncontrolled internal bleeding.
By the time he shows symptoms it may be too late to save him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Is there any chance the rat has eaten poison?

If so, this is a Medical EMERGENCY and your dog could die in hours.
You must take him to the vet immediately for treatment.

Rat poison causes uncontrolled internal bleeding.
By the time he shows symptoms it may be too late to save him.
This was my major concern when I saw this. I hope you do go to the vet if the rat was not a pet one (even if you don't have rat poison in your home, perhaps the rat was poisoned at a neighbor's).

Early treatment of rat poisoning is not invasive or expensive. They will just make him throw up or give activated charcoal, and then prescribe vitamin K for several weeks (not something you can get over the counter, but not crazy expensive). They shouldn't have to do surgery or even supportive care if you go in ASAP.

If you wait and he is poisoned, measures to save him will be hugely expensive, he will need a supportive care, possibly a blood transfusion, and his prognosis will be extremely guarded.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
My terrier killed lots of rats in his younger years and was fine but he never ate them, if he had been eating them I'd have been very concerned, I'd have been scared the rat had gotten into rat poison before my dog got him. He was also up to date on all his shots, so I wasn't worried about rabies if he got bit by one of them.

I'd take your dog to the vet and get it checked, if the rat your dog ate got hold of poison it can make your dog very sick and possibly kill your dog. If the rat didn't eat poison then your dog is most likely safe.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,518 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the rat potentially obstructing your dog than anything else.

TYPICALLY, even if the rat ate poison, it should not affect your dog. There are three types of rate poison, two of which you can't really treat once it's in the system. To be safe, you could have the dog hospitalized to watch for adverse signs and treatment just in case it's not the anti-coagulant type of poison (which most are). If it was the anti-coagulant, you could have clotting parameters checked 48 hours after it ate the rat to see if your dog has been affected. If normal, you're fine.

Up to you how concerned you want to be but typically poison isn't an issue. Depending on your location (Western US), rats can carry certain diseases transmittable to your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, we hadn't poison the rat. It seems like my grandma's cat that catch that rat and then just leave it on the floor. I would ask my parents to bring him to vet in this week. But, is there anything I could do just in case?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, it's just a wild rat. We do not have any rat poison though. Oh, yes. Here's some info. I live in a village and near some bushes or something. So, it's maybe a wild rat. But i'm still worried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the rat is safe from rat poison. My dog seems fine on the next morning. Can you tell what type of abnormal behavior he might be? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any chance the rat has eaten poison?

If so, this is a Medical EMERGENCY and your dog could die in hours.
You must take him to the vet immediately for treatment.

Rat poison causes uncontrolled internal bleeding.
By the time he shows symptoms it may be too late to save him.
Tess, have you ever deal with this problem?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
The risk is very minimal that he'll get sick, and the signs would depend on what poison was used. If it was an anticoagulant poison then in a few days he'd have pale gums and may have bloody urine or stool, his nose may also bleed.

Rat Poison
 
  • Like
Reactions: DidieheaNee

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there any chance the rat has eaten poison?

If so, this is a Medical EMERGENCY and your dog could die in hours.
You must take him to the vet immediately for treatment.

Rat poison causes uncontrolled internal bleeding.
By the time he shows symptoms it may be too late to save him.
The risk is very minimal that he'll get sick, and the signs would depend on what poison was used. If it was an anticoagulant poison then in a few days he'd have pale gums and may have bloody urine or stool, his nose may also bleed.

Rat Poison
So, if there is none of that sign, that's mean he will be just fine. Right?
OMG, I'm so-so worried.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
Yes but it takes several days for those signs to show up, and if they do by that time your dog will be very, very, sick.

According to the link I put in my last post, a rat would have to get hold of one of the newer rat poisons, and be a very greedy rat and eat a whole bunch of the poison (most rats won't do that) and then the predator would have to eat a couple of those greedy rats in order to get sick.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DidieheaNee

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes but it takes several days for those signs to show up, and if they do by that time your dog will be very, very, sick.

According to the link I put in my last post, a rat would have to get hold of one of the newer rat poisons, and be a very greedy rat and eat a whole bunch of the poison (most rats won't do that) and then the predator would have to eat a couple of those greedy rats in order to get sick.
I hope the rat is free from those poison. Ugh... I could die if there is something wrong with him.:(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
Considering he only ate half the rat, and if I understood right he threw that part back up, he'll probably be fine whether or not the rat ate poison.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DidieheaNee

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Considering he only ate half the rat, and if I understood right he threw that part back up, he'll probably be fine whether or not the rat ate poison.
I think the same, Rain. Hey, do you happen to have any facebook account? I just want to show you what kind of dog i have have here.:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
You should share a picture of you dog on here, I'm sure everyone would love to see him:D

If you host your pictures on a site like photobucket you can follow the instructions on the site to post a picture on here, or you can click on manage attachments under the submit reply / preview post button on dogforum and post a picture that you have on your computer. Then click browse in the box that opens to select a picture of your dog. Then click upload to post the picture in your post, and it'll post as an attachment.

This is my old boy Shadow, I took the pic last month. He had turned 17 a week or two before I took that picture.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top