Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am new to this forum and i love dogs :)

I am 17 and have been asking my dad to get a dog for over 5 years, he still says no. I have looked after many dogs in the past including a King Charles Spaniel, Airedale and a Husky so i know what to do and all of the basics of caring for a dog. A friend also lets me help care for her dog and she has taught me a lot about training.

i live near a common so plenty of space to walk and i have a good sized garden.

i have found a rescue dog that is perfect, he is a 4 year old male airedale and my dad likes airedales but he is just ignoring it all.

I have an active lifestlye and when im older am planning to get a job with horses so having a dog in the future shouldnt be a problem.

i need help, does anyone have any advice, thanks :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it is very frustrating as i have wanted one for such a long time, he loves airedales but i dont know why he is ignoring everyting.
A friend has an airedale who she says was trhe best dog she has ever had, i think they can be handfuls but then so can any dog :)

im not giving up though! :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Iam sure he has a reason, whatever it may be.

I thought my parents reasons were unfair/stupid until I got to be an adult. Now I know why they wouldn't let us have a dog.

Can you perhaps volunteer som'where with dogs to help stratch that puppy itch.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His reason is that he thinks he will end up caring for the dog when i get bored!

i know i would never get bored, i have had a horse for 6 years and still cant wait to go and see her, this would be the same with a dog, i know i would be a good owner and he knows he would have noting to do with it, i will walk, feed, buy its stuff everyting.

thats a good idea except i think that will make the need for my own worse, the hardest bit of looking after oher peoples dogs was the fact i had to give them back at the end.

my dad said to me i shoud do dog walking but i want to walk my own dog, not have to give peoples dogs back once the walk is over if that makes sense :-/

its just very frustrating!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Tell him you'll get into all kinds of 'teenage trouble' if he doesn't get you a dog LOL

*ducks from objects your dad is throwing at my head* LOL

I've always found (with my parents and now with my dbf) that continually asking and doing sneaky things like posting their picture all over the house works. Also bargaining-like if I can have this, I'll do this for you :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts