Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
I have a MASSIVE issue with my 2.5yr old pomeranian crossed when it comes to going out for a walk.
First of all, she has to decide the direction and sometimes she just refuses to walk and i literally have to pull her on the ground and its really embaressing.
Today i tried to take her for a walk and we came back after 5minutes because she refused to walk!
someone please help..i dont know what to do anymore and its really frustrating!

thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
How long have you had this dog? If you just recently got her, she might not be used to going for walks really. How does she act when you take the leash out to get her ready to go?

You could always try baiting her (liver treats or warm hot dog pieces work great). Get her to walk to you then give her the treat...once she knows what you have she should go where ever you want just to get the reward. Make sure you periodically stop and praise her and give her the treat to keep her interested. Hopefully she'll be motivated by the food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive had her since she was a pup, 8 weeks old. she used to love going for walks but now when i even grab the leash she runs away and hides and i have to chase her and put the leash on!!! i thought it might be the collar, so ive tried more than 5 different collars but still nothing.
ive also tried the food but she eats it and then just stands there refusing to walk =[ =[ =[ =[

its so sad..i see soo many dogs going for walks and the LOVE it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did something happen while you guys were out on a walk to cause such a behavior change? My advice is don't chase her with the lease, a dog should always come to you when its time to put the leash on. I would take really slow baby steps, get the leash out and sit on the floor with it, when she approaches you don't put it on her right away and let her check it out. Then I would attach it but just let her wear it around the house without your holding onto it. Take baby steps until you get her to the place you want her to be...which would be enjoying walks with you again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hiii...ok so what happened was...i tried everything u said, still its like she is terrified of the leash..but for the last 3 days, ive been driving to a local park and she doesnt mind walking there! so i guess..ill just have to drive to that park forever now hehe

·
Registered
79 Posts
She has you trained very well!

Don't treat her unless she does what you want and use it as a reward only. If you are giving her treats and she doesn't do what you want, your treating her for being bad!

You may want to try this: Before you want to go for a walk, pic her up, then put the leash on her. Then carry her outside, walk down the block put her down. Don't treat, don't look at her, just start walking like you do when your at the park.

After she is being good and walking with you, then stop, make her sit, then give her a treat. Then go back to walking.

When you get back to the house, don't treat her, don't praise her. Just make it like this is old hat and you do it every day. Keep her leash on her for a little while. Then take her out for another walk. Don't carry her outside this time. Don't talk to her, don't look at her. Just hold the leash, open the door and go. Again, once she is being good, stop midway through your walk, have her sit, give her a treat, tell her calmly that she is a good girl and continue walking away from the house. About a block or two, then just turn around and walk back to the house. Then same as above.

Only when she is doing well on your walks, then you can talk to her. (Only talk to her while she is walking.)

A little obedience always helps!

Let us know if this helps! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow ok, ill try it out and let u know =] tanx heaps.

p.s. "She has you trained very well! " veryyy true! lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
ummm....

Its entirely possible your pushing your dog over threshold and the dog is shutting down.

Your dog is frightened of som'thing in the enviroment. I would concentrate of building trust and confidence.

Also If shes sitting there and your treating her you are conditioning her to sit there. You need to treat the behavior to you want and not push your dog to far too fast or she will continue to freeze up.

Try borrowing another dog to walk with her and see if that helps. If is does praise/treat like MAD!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts