Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !
I recently got a 1 month and a few weeks old puppy, she's a mutt (her mom was a portuguese water dog and her father was a mutt too) and she's very playful
1st problem, she never goes potty where she's supposed to... I'm trying to teach her, but it has been hard...
2nd problem, she bites me... Hard... At first it was a playful bite, but now it's quite agressive, she even growls while biting... She bites me, my shoes, my rug... Everything...

I'm not quite sure how to teach her, so I'd like your help...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you training her to potty now, and how are you teaching her that biting isn't wanted?

Here are a couple of stickies that may help you out:
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/house-training-your-puppy

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/
The potty training i'm doing is, whenever i see she's about to do it, i pick her up, take her to where she's supposed to, wait until she does it, and then I praise her a lot... As for the biting, I don't know how to teach her that...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Go to Dog Star Daily and download the free information on socialization, bite inhibition and house training. Read those, and if you have any questions (which is totally fine, many people do), ask us.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The potty training i'm doing is, whenever i see she's about to do it, i pick her up, take her to where she's supposed to, wait until she does it, and then I praise her a lot...
Also, try offering her some edible goodies when she does her business where she's supposed to. Nothing impresses a dog like getting a snack! Keep in mind too that dogs mature at different rates, and it does take some time for their 'elimination notification system' to work reliably.

As for the biting, I don't know how to teach her that...
Yes, this can take a while and lots of patience. Dogs don't have hands so they use their mouths for everything, PLUS they're teething so biting just feels good! When she nips, offer her something she can chew on. If she nips a second time, stop interacting with her. Don't say anything, just turn away and ignore her. If she persists in trying to get your attention by nipping at legs, feet, shoes, etc., go where she can't reach you.

What Amaryllis said .. DogStarDaily. That's Ian Dunbar's site, one of the most respected trainers in dogdom. He's got excellent advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts