Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may have seen my other post about dog info. I'm looking into getting a 2nd dog sometime around 6mo from now.so instead of searching the Internet looking at hundreds of dogs I figured you guys could help me narrow down the search. So here's what I'm looking for.
A good gaurd dog
Good with cats, as I have two
Good with other dogs, as I have a 6mo old lab
Good with kids, as I have two nieces both under 4
Perferably no bigger the 80lbs
Easily trainable and smart
I'm not looking for a high energy dog that requires alot of exercise, I can provide about 1-2 hours of exercise on weekdays. But keep in my my current dog will take up some of that time.
Must be able to be alone for about I hours a day as I work 40ish hours per week.
Coat: this isnt to big of deal but I would like a merle pattern or a quad color dog(like the Catahoula). And doesn't shed a ton.

I believe that's it. Nown I realize to get a dog like this would be a perfect storm. So I'm hoping you guys can give me a bunch of suggestions that come close and then I can narrow it down to what fits best and the ease of me finding said dog in my general area.
Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Some of you may have seen my other post about dog info. I'm looking into getting a 2nd dog sometime around 6mo from now.so instead of searching the Internet looking at hundreds of dogs I figured you guys could help me narrow down the search. So here's what I'm looking for.
A good gaurd dog
Good with cats, as I have two
Good with other dogs, as I have a 6mo old lab
Good with kids, as I have two nieces both under 4
Perferably no bigger the 80lbs
Easily trainable and smart
I'm not looking for a high energy dog that requires alot of exercise, I can provide about 1-2 hours of exercise on weekdays. But keep in my my current dog will take up some of that time.
Must be able to be alone for about I hours a day as I work 40ish hours per week.
Coat: this isnt to big of deal but I would like a merle pattern or a quad color dog(like the Catahoula). And doesn't shed a ton.

I believe that's it. Nown I realize to get a dog like this would be a perfect storm. So I'm hoping you guys can give me a bunch of suggestions that come close and then I can narrow it down to what fits best and the ease of me finding said dog in my general area.
Thanks for the help!
Hmmmm. Well, I think a lot of the issues like cats, other dogs, and children can be fine, if you do all your proper socialization and training from puppyhood. Some high prey drive dogs like hounds might be a little tougher, but not impossible. I would recommend getting the opposite sex to your current dog, since those seem to be the easiest pairings.

A lot of merle-coloured dogs come in the Herding group, which of course is high energy. The other coat patterns are Dachshunds (Dapple) or Great Danes (Harlequin), I'm sure there are others, but those are off the top of my head.

Whenever anyone wants a smart, easily trainable breed that doesn't shed, I immediately think of the Poodle, but I'm not sure how well they do being home alone for such a long period of time. Are you going to take time off work for the puppy?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to rule out the poodle, I've never liked them lol I'm looking for some bigger then dachshunds.
A good gaurd dog had a high priority on my list as my area keeps getting worse and worse. I know dachshunds can be rather aggressive and guarding but won't scare away an intruder. Now don't get me wrong this is not the only reason I'm getting a dog but it's high on my list. And great Danes are way too big. I'm not looking for much more then a 80lbs and probably no smaller then a 50lb.
As far as the coat it's probably lowest on the priority list, so if most merles are herding It won't bother me not having a merle.

I think I could handle the exercise needs of a herding but I'd rather be safe then sorry and have to give it up.

When I say smart I'm thinking about my current labs level of intelligence . My current lab is very smart, stubborn at times but smart lol.

Lastly I don't think I will take time off for a puppy as I didn't need to with my lab. I never thought of it being necessary. But I'm also not ruling out adoption but I prefer to stick with pure breds that way I have a better idea of what I'm getting.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upon reading that, the biggest thing that hit me was that they easily get separation anxiety. But I still am going to have to pass on the poodle

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so here's what I've been thinking about, if people can weigh in that be great!

A boxer
A America pitbull
A hovawart
OR another lab <- this is plan B as I'd like to get a different breed.

Also if anyone has other dog selections that be great to!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
All the boxers I've met require a crazy amount of exercise. They are SO energetic.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Okay so here's what I've been thinking about, if people can weigh in that be great!

A boxer
A America pitbull
A hovawart
OR another lab <- this is plan B as I'd like to get a different breed.

Also if anyone has other dog selections that be great to!
Boxer and Hovawart are both working dogs they need entertainment. mentally aswell as physically.
Hovis often seem a bit less energetic to me, but they come with their own set of requirements...protection drive, guarding drive, a certain aloofness (there's a chance he won't like strangers, dogs and humans alike).
please don't expect a Hovawart to be like a Retriever... the blonds may look similiar to Golden Retrievers, but they are very different in character.
the name is a dog description for this dog. He's the one protecting the farm. ;)
they can be pretty serious dogs so I'm not sure if they're a good for for a young Lab... probably depends on the temperament of both dogs.

All boxers i know have a goofy side so that could probably fit your Lab.
i think in needs of daily physical exercise them and Pits are very similiar. they don't get tired, but you should let them get out a bit of their energy every day with walk, play and training.
Both boxers and pits, like Hovis, can develop same-species aggression, often it directs towards strangers, not so much dogs in the same family.
same with small animals... Boxers and pits can have mild preydrive (it's most of the time easy manageable), but they can learn to see the animals (cats) in their own family not as such.
Like Hovis, Boxers often have a certain protective drive, that needs to be addressed and managed.
don't take this lightly: this means when you child has a friend over, there's the possiblity that the dog will try to discipline the friend, which can hurt a child. If youV'e got a partner and you're messing aroudn with each other and one of you makes sounds that sounds "scared" to the dog, it is possible that he'll get inbetween you and try to "break up the fight", which ca end up in someone getting hurt when you don't adress this.

generally I'd wait until one dog is grown up and finished basic training before getting a new one. having a puppy and a adolescent dog can be really tiring and there's the risk of one of them getting the short end when it comes to training and exercise.
please don't forget, that until both of them are physical grown (around 2 years) and finished leash training., they will have different needs when it comes to walks, so you probably have to walk them separately.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Have you thought about a retired greyhound? They have short coats that can come in some pretty amazing colors, and usually don't require a massive amount of exercise as long as you can occasionally find a place to let them run safely.

Of course, they're not really protective and you'd have to find one that had been cat tested, but it can and has been done.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So out of those three dogs it sounds like a pit best suits what I am looking for. Any dog I get will naturally be socialized with my cats, nieces etc.

But u have thought about a grey hound and they're just too tall for my liking at this point in my life.

And getting another dog really does depend on my current lab, the better she does with training/listening to me the sooner I'll get a 2nd one.

Any other suggestions for me? I'd like to have a small list of maybe 4 or 5 dogs that somewhat fit my description so I can do more specific research on them. Thanks

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Maybe a blue merle smooth collie. Fits all your criteria except perhaps your desire for a guard dog but that depends on your definition of "guard dog". Collies most certainly are competent watchdogs and will alert you with their alarm barking to any activity as they are very attentive dogs.

·
Registered
951 Posts
A good gaurd dog - all dogs are roughly equal unless you are talking about going for a formally trained protection dog.

Good with cats, as I have two - this is dependent on the dog being raised with cats and other animals, not really a breed specific thing.

Good with other dogs, as I have a 6mo old lab - this is dependent on the dog being raised with dogs and other animals, not really a breed specific thing. The only caveat is dogs with a lineage of fighting other dogs (pitbull types) can exhibit dog aggression.

Good with kids, as I have two nieces both under 4 - again not really a specific breed thing, more of an individual dog thing, but mainly how it is raised....and how the kids are taught (know boundaries, understand dog body language, etc)

Perferably no bigger the 80lbs - this is breed specific, but really only 10-20% of breeds are going to be over this weight limit.

Easily trainable and smart - the easiest to train and smartest are the herding breeds, from collies to german shepherds to corgies.

I'm not looking for a high energy dog that requires alot of exercise, I can provide about 1-2 hours of exercise on weekdays. But keep in my my current dog will take up some of that time. - generally larger dogs take more work to give enough exercise, look for medium or smaller breeds. Try and stay away from hunting breeds of hunting lines as these tend to have tons of energy.

Must be able to be alone for about I hours a day as I work 40ish hours per week. - incomplete statement.

- I'd advise you to stay away from merle except for the Catahoula. Merle coat doesn't make a bad dog. Humans desiring Merle coats on their dogs drives breeders to breed Merle to Merle as that is the most likely combo to create Merle dogs...but also means that roughly 25% of the pups will be born 'double merle' which often leaves them deaf and blind. The catahoula seems to be an exception to this. The theories I have heard is they have an incomplete/alternative type of merle gene that even when you have two copies of it, the health problems are not their. It could also be because the breeders are simply putting pups who are double merle to death at birth,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about the one statement it was meant to read that I work about 8 hours 5 days a week.
I'm also not looking for a trained protection dog. But I would like a dog that will alert me and possibly scare off an intruder. Once again, this is not the only reason I'm getting abother dog but it does play a small role. Also I don't think I'll get a small breed, so it would have to be a med.

As far as pit Bulls go, would they still show same species aggression if properly socialized? As they are on my potential list.

Also I've read up and correct me if I'm wrong but smooth collies tend to need alot less exercise then border collies and are calm house dogs assuming they are still adequately exercised. But a question I have on them, would they still be able to go on a hour long jog with me covering about 5-6 miles and not run into any problems?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In addition to my previous questions. What about airedale terrier? Would they fit my description?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Don't collies need extensive exercise? Or is that a border collie?
Smooth and rough collies do need extensive exercise like aussies and BCs. From what I have seen smooth and rough collies would do fine with the 1-2 hours a day of exercise you mentioned you could commit to in your original post. The collies I have known are pretty relaxed dogs but seem to have a sense of vigilance to them which would also fit into your characteristics for a dog.

I also think collies are pretty easy going dogs as far as temperament overall and are pretty quick studies in basic obedience. They also seem to get along wonderfully with other dogs and humans.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Humans desiring Merle coats on their dogs drives breeders to breed Merle to Merle as that is the most likely combo to create Merle dogs...but also means that roughly 25% of the pups will be born 'double merle' which often leaves them deaf and blind.
I have heard this mentioned among the rough and smooth collie breeders but that's about all. I somewhat remember that in some collies regardless if it is a merle that they have some sort of potential for an eye disorder. Perhaps it comes with the merle gene even if it isn't phenotypical. Sounds like you know much more about it than I obviously.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry about the one statement it was meant to read that I work about 8 hours 5 days a week.
I'm also not looking for a trained protection dog. But I would like a dog that will alert me and possibly scare off an intruder. Once again, this is not the only reason I'm getting abother dog but it does play a small role. Also I don't think I'll get a small breed, so it would have to be a med.

As far as pit Bulls go, would they still show same species aggression if properly socialized? As they are on my potential list.

Also I've read up and correct me if I'm wrong but smooth collies tend to need alot less exercise then border collies and are calm house dogs assuming they are still adequately exercised. But a question I have on them, would they still be able to go on a hour long jog with me covering about 5-6 miles and not run into any problems?
Even with proper socialization, the American Pit Bull Terrier may very well still be aggressive with other dogs, and cats as well. Even with dogs they are raised with, it is not a sure bet that they will get along. If you are not ready to deal with the possibility of animal aggression, do not get an APBT. They also do not, generally, make good guard dogs and are not protective.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay so the pitbull is out. As far as the collies. The research I've been doing says that smooth and rough are susceptible to eye issues, but a responsible breeder can have their eyes checked before selling them. They can also now be given a blood test to determine if the are allergic to any meds

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Okay so the pitbull is out. As far as the collies. The research I've been doing says that smooth and rough are susceptible to eye issues, but a responsible breeder can have their eyes checked before selling them.
Correct, from the few collie breeders I know, they have their eyes tested before the pups are placed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts