Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Dog outgrew her crate. It was a clipper size 4. We knew she would outgrow it but when we bought her at 3 months old it was either that or a size 6 which we were worried she would find too big.

Now in the market for a new crate. We are leaning towards a wire crate, because it's easier to store and clean, and we don't forsee flying with her in the near future. There is a possibility that we will fly with her one day.

What wire crates to people reccommend? And what size? She's a american staffordshire + boxer + terrier mix. At 4 months old she's 30 pounds. Size estimates put her at somewhere between 50-60lbs but not so sure on how tall or wide. She's not too chesty for an Am Staff.

Grreat Choice® Wire Dog Crate | Crates | PetSmart
for this cage, I'm unsure whether she will grow into the large or extra large. HELP!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Personally, I've never had a problem using oversized crates for my dogs. I've got a 36" crate which was used for a 15" tall, 33lb cross breed and then, for a min pin puppy, whose adult weight is just under 10 lb. Oversize crates are basically a puppy pens with a roofs :D

I like wire crates best, they can be folded and put away once they are not needed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am thinking of getting a Kong Crate.
It has two doors which is handy for placement in certain areas and the doors lift up and lay on top of the crate.
Not sure why they are the only ones I have seen do this but it is brilliant.
At times when my dog is playing in the living room, I fear she will land on the door of her crate as it is open, or poke an eye. Not to mention I am always banging into it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I am thinking of getting a Kong Crate.
It has two doors which is handy for placement in certain areas and the doors lift up and lay on top of the crate.
Not sure why they are the only ones I have seen do this but it is brilliant.
At times when my dog is playing in the living room, I fear she will land on the door of her crate as it is open, or poke an eye. Not to mention I am always banging into it.
I absolutely despise the Kong crates with the lift up doors. My breeder has a couple of them (that she also hates) and they're a royal pain in the butt. The ones she have are really heavy and clunky, super hard to fold up, and the lift up doors are just hard to deal with. They also are really impractical if you stack crates, but that's not a concern for everyone. They don't work as smoothly as one would hope. One of them was basically rendered useless when one of the wires got slightly bent. Not such a big deal with ordinary crate designs, but the door wouldn't work without some great effort.

I do like the idea of the design, and if I didn't dislike the product in practice I probably would have gotten one for my truck so I wouldn't have to deal with the door opening out. Perhaps the design has been improved since then or we got some inferior ones, but carefully consider the purchase!

·
Registered
406 Posts
...I do like the idea of the design, and if I didn't dislike the product in practice I probably would have gotten one for my truck so I wouldn't have to deal with the door opening out. Perhaps the design has been improved since then or we got some inferior ones, but carefully consider the purchase!
Midwest makes a crate with a door like that. It also has a "regular" door on the side. I don't have one, but have had very good things about it.

Midwest Ovationâ„¢ 1900 Series Dog Crates With Up and Away Door Suitable for Dogs 11 - 110 lbs

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Midwest makes a crate with a door like that. It also has a "regular" door on the side. I don't have one, but have had very good things about it.

Midwest Ovationâ„¢ 1900 Series Dog Crates With Up and Away Door Suitable for Dogs 11 - 110 lbs
Alas, in my truck I would need the drop down door to be on the long side for it to work in my case. As it stands I do alright with the ones I have, but finding crates of the right size with the door opening to the left on the long side was tricky. If it opened to the right then I'd have to completely open the truck door to let the dog out, and if the short side had to face out then it wouldn't fit :(

Glad to hear that the product has good reviews! It really is a good idea for people with limited space options, but only really works if it functions as intended...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts