Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm K-Rae (or cheply) and I just joined the dog forum.. because I need some help!

Ok, so I have come to the conclusion that I just can't have a Basset Hound in my small apartment (450 sq foot.. ish) where my landlord prefers I don't have a pet in the first place (I'm working on that one :))
The thing is, I don't have a clue about small breed dogs (mostly because they have never appealed to me much) But... I think it's time I have a furry companion of my own, whether it be small or large. Basset or not basset...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small breed dog... whoooo..
Is smart or trainable (I know these are two separate traits... but either one will do. haha)
Is not yappy :ponder:
has a tenancy to be highly sociable/friendly
and is preferably shorthaired

:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Umm...maybe a pug or dachshund?
It depends though. I think I dachshund would be a good choice but you would have to make room for a daily walk.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
yappy is going to depend on you ;)

I agree with the pug suggestion.

My first thought was pomeranian, but you want short haired....brushing is only once/twice a week and there is no fancy clipping involved, so maybe you'll reconsider;)

most small breeds are pretty dang trainable ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Most toy breeds are actually very geared towards learning. They're incredibly smart- how do you think they train their owners so well? I know you're looking more towards a shorthaired breed, but consider a Papillon. They are quick, cheerful little dogs and are incredibly trainable and smart. They do require a moderate amount of grooming but they're fantastic. Also Pomeranians are good but tend towards a bit more yappiness than the Papillon. However the behavior of whatever breed you choose is going to depend on you, and its parents. =]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Papillion has a nice look to it.

Its not that I mind brushing. I've had a sheltie before and I loved brushing him out everyday. Its just, I don't want too much shedding going on. Since I rent.

And I also tend to prefer the look of shorthaired dogs.

I'm also weary of long hair because my boyfriend had an American Eskimo is whole life and that dog constantly smells horrible because his underbelly is always dirty and matted. He's also the only dog I have ever met and disliked. I'm so scared to get a dog like that(unintelligent, untrained, annoying), that I'm just looking for something that is the complete opposite! haha. I suppose it's not the dogs fault though, He's just gone senile in old age.

I could easily get my hands on a Chihuahua I suppose. My aunt has one and is going to breed her soon.

Edit: Do you guys know how small dogs are around horses? I assume there would not be a difference in a small dogs attitude towards a horse than a big dogs, so much as they are used to them right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh definately.
I'm all for rescue. And definately don't need a purebred dog or anything, haha.
I just want an idea of what's out there. I honestly have never ever considered small dogs and wanted to know what people think/what do some of the varieties look like. ect.

... All the animals for adoption in my area are Shih Tzus right now :( I don't like them.. (For SPCA anyway)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
awesome! I can't say anything bad about Chihuahuas...I own two mixes and will gladly continue to own chis.

Poodles are also VERY trainable...you of course would have to clip occasionally. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my opinion, chihuahuas are THE ONLY small breed dog worth owning. (Okay, i'm halfway kidding about that, because i love all dogs, but will seriously probably never own any other toy breed). They are highly intelligent, bold, curious, alert and protective. In general, however, they are NOT highly social. They tend to be reserved w/people they don't know and extremely committed to one person. Chihuahuas are a great little dog for people who aren't little dog people because they typically don't know that they're a little dog and don't behave like one (mine bosses around our pit bull mix who is five times his size), but not if you're looking for a really friendly breed.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I don't know, I kind of disagree on the chihuahua idea unless you rescue one already potty trained or get one at 8-12 weeks and get it into puppy classes asap. I have 2 chi's and they are smart, they do learn, but the potty training was a bitch (pardon my language) with BOTH (1 rescued at 3 yrs and supposedly potty trained, the other found under 4 months). If you are in an apartment you really need to be careful with a small dog going potty all over the carpet, this was the issue I had personally in my apartment with mine. You definitely want to get familiar with great potty training techniques and crate training or an x-pen.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i really like the breed info on dogbreedinfo.com and they have a survey you can take that allows to put in your criteria and lists some breed suggestions. i would stay away from the double coated breeds if you worry about shedding. crios said it though, start checking out local shelters and look for a nice mix breed pup that fits your needs......you are looking for a smart dog....what about a bishon or poodle? they need clipping/brushing but they don't shed too much.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know, I kind of disagree on the chihuahua idea unless you rescue one already potty trained or get one at 8-12 weeks and get it into puppy classes asap. I have 2 chi's and they are smart, they do learn, but the potty training was a bitch (pardon my language) with BOTH (1 rescued at 3 yrs and supposedly potty trained, the other found under 4 months). If you are in an apartment you really need to be careful with a small dog going potty all over the carpet, this was the issue I had personally in my apartment with mine. You definitely want to get familiar with great potty training techniques and crate training or an x-pen.
Yeah,.... I was thinking I should not get a puppy.. but if I got a Chi I would take one of my aunts (She really wants me to have one) ... I called her last night and explained that I'm not home enough to train... and she said she would keep it for a few months for me and get it all trained up. Sooo... maybe.... but shes not breeding until next spring I don't think. I may not want to wait.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yeah,.... I was thinking I should not get a puppy.. but if I got a Chi I would take one of my aunts (She really wants me to have one) ... I called her last night and explained that I'm not home enough to train... and she said she would keep it for a few months for me and get it all trained up. Sooo... maybe.... but shes not breeding until next spring I don't think. I may not want to wait.
If you are not going to have time to train you definitely need to rescue an older dog. Puppies need constant stimulation and should not be left alone for very long.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm K-Rae (or cheply) and I just joined the dog forum.. because I need some help!

Ok, so I have come to the conclusion that I just can't have a Basset Hound in my small apartment (450 sq foot.. ish) where my landlord prefers I don't have a pet in the first place (I'm working on that one :))
The thing is, I don't have a clue about small breed dogs (mostly because they have never appealed to me much) But... I think it's time I have a furry companion of my own, whether it be small or large. Basset or not basset...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small breed dog... whoooo..
Is smart or trainable (I know these are two separate traits... but either one will do. haha)
Is not yappy :ponder:
has a tenancy to be highly sociable/friendly
and is preferably shorthaired

:)

Well, pug. But pugs usually have quite a few health issues. Dachshund, but they're yappy. May not be good to your landlord. Uhmm...! Chihuahua, but yappy....hhhmmm....uhh..Yorkie? But they may shed all over your apartment. Ask ya landlord. Hope me helped!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.