Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out that it could mean your dog is lonely and wants to be with you or it could be something more deadly, meaning it's his time to go. Dogs, will hide in places when they feel they will die soon, it's in their instincts. Am I assuming so quickly or is my dog really in danger or not?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've heard this as well, and in some cases it's probably true. I was actually hoping to hear that since this had begun, you thought to maybe take him to the vet for a wellness check...? Have you? How old is your dog? How long has this behavior been going on? Is he eating and excreting normally or not? Too many unanswered questions.

None of us can help your dog through a forum. Please take your dog to the vet to be examined properly.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
We'd need a lot more info before we could even begin to guess why your dog may be hiding.

Is it an indoor or outdoor dog?

How long has the behavior been going on?

Is their any other symptom like the dog acting in pain, acting sick, a wound, lack of appetite, vomiting and/or diarrhea?

Is the appetite normal and any increase or decrease in drinking water?

Has it's energy gone down.

Personally I'd do like Mhop suggested and get the dog to the vet for a health check, if it's been more then a day or two that's it's been wanting to hide.

My boy hid more when he was having pain form colitis, he was not in danger from dying but was very uncomfortable, he had other symptoms besides the hiding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I visted the veternarian she said that he just catched some kind of skin infection. He has caught this before and fought it but has never hid in odd places before until now. He has started doing this a couple of weeks ago. You see, he hated being in this one room the odd thing is that he always liked being that room. A friend of mine said that he just wants to take control of the entire house but I don't believe her. I do wan't him to be happy but he sure can be a stubborn dog.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I visted the veternarian she said that he just catched some kind of skin infection. He has caught this before and fought it but has never hid in odd places before until now. He has started doing this a couple of weeks ago. You see, he hated being in this one room the odd thing is that he always liked being that room. A friend of mine said that he just wants to take control of the entire house but I don't believe her. I do wan't him to be happy but he sure can be a stubborn dog.
There's no such thing as a stubborn dog, just owners who haven't figured out the best way to train. :p

Skin infections are very uncomfortable, even painful, so it's no wonder he's hiding. Dogs will form connections between pain they're feeling and places, people, events, even if they aren't connected. That's why it's so dangerous to train with pain, you may end up creating a connection like that.

He may have connected that room with the pain of his infection and has now decided to avoid the room.

Here's a series of videos on dog training you'll find helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forgot, to say that they gave him his pills and that he's recovering from the last few days. He's not itching as much, he even ran outside 2 days ago and didn't wan't to come inside because he was enjoying himself. What worries me so much is all the hiding. He barks a lot and whines when he's in that room but stops when I go into the room or if he leaves. He even ripped the wooden bars on one of the doors because he was so stressed out in there. I wonder, could he have seperation anxiety instead?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel really guilty I knew he might of been in a little of pain but not that much. Well, he seems to be getting better which I'm happy about but I'm still really worried about him.

My friend, told me that he has allergies so that's why he itches himself so much. He also has a messed up tail so that may of been why he whined for a second just now was because he was scratching it. I think, he might of been shaky before but he's shaking now.

Then again, the veternarians said that he'd be fine including my friend. He plays outside, walks around, he's mainly an inside dog. What scares me so much is the hiding, itching, and how skinny he is. He's always been skinny but I herd that it's healthy for dogs like him to be thin. I always worry too much about everything so I don't wan't to scrare people but I don't want to be not cautious ether.

Thanks so much for your advice! The link isn't working could you post the link without the text?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'd need a lot more info before we could even begin to guess why your dog may be hiding.

Is it an indoor or outdoor dog?

How long has the behavior been going on?

Is their any other symptom like the dog acting in pain, acting sick, a wound, lack of appetite, vomiting and/or diarrhea?

Is the appetite normal and any increase or decrease in drinking water?

Has it's energy gone down.

Personally I'd do like Mhop suggested and get the dog to the vet for a health check, if it's been more then a day or two that's it's been wanting to hide.

My boy hid more when he was having pain form colitis, he was not in danger from dying but was very uncomfortable, he had other symptoms besides the hiding.
My dog did go to the vet and they said that he's fine, he has fought this before and given him his pills for the itching.

He keeps visiting this female dog every year for sex. Whenever he wants to mate with a female dog, we'll just try to keep him inside.

What worries me so much is the hiding in odd places. If he's getting better [which I am not sure], then why does he keep hiding?:(

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ clearly what she means is "my unneutered male dog tries to escape to property once a year to breed a neighborhood female so we try to keep him indoors at that time"
I understood it.
Or are you just "umm"ing to take umbridge at the fact her dog is not neutered? Or at the totally unnecessary information?

OP, I don't know why your dog is hiding is strange places, you really need to provide more information that was already asked for like:
Is he eating/drinking normally?
Has he lost any weight?
Does he have the same amount of energy?
How long exactly has this behavior been going on?
Has anything changed in his environment recently?
How are his bowel movements?
How much exercise and mental stimulation does he get?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's Time To Move

Sorry for taking so long to respond and for not making myself clear. Once or twice a year our indoor dog, not neutered, will take off for days if a female dog is in heat. Each time this happens, he will come back with a skin rash and severe itching. My mother took him to the vet for treatment, but the antibiotics and powder formula had only reduced his symptoms and did not permanently cure him. My mother thinks that he got exposed to microscopic parasites, but was given the wrong medications. We live in a rural area so it's hard to find a good veterinarian or good doctor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts