Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My corgi is a rescue who has been dog-aggressive ever since he came to me. HE hates other dogs and I often have to pull him to the side or cross the street to avoid other dogs while walking.

A girl that I have recently began seeing has a dog who has been waiting out the winter in a warmer climate at her parents house. She also happens to be my neighbor, so she is hopeful that her dog can stay when she stays the night. Knowing how territorial and downright aggressive my corgi can be to members of his own species - I am less hopeful. I agreed to give it a try anyways, but would like to hear the best ideas for introducing them to one another and trying to make this work.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My last dog was aggressive to most other dogs but he had a few dog buddies that he really loved. Introduce them in a neutral place and make sure they get along before you try anyone's apartment. Maybe stay at your gfs apt first a few times when her dog moves in so your dog gets used to the dogs smell.
My last dog was very possessive and jealous. The only time he ever hurt a dog was when I petted it in front of him. Don't be affectionate to the other dog, no treats, toys, food, water bowls, bones, nothing to fight over or own. Keep them separate by rooms or baby gates eventually try leashes. But remember dogs often feel more vulnerable and are more aggressive tied on leashes because they can't escape. Lots of praise for your dog tolerating and being nice to the other dog.
Worst case scenario, stay at her place and leave your dog at home or keep your dog locked up since he's the aggressive one and let her bring her dog. Or hire a trainer. But do everything slowly in small steps.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is your dog really aggressive or just leash aggressive? My dog hates other dogs when she's leashed, but plays happily when she's free. A rescue might not have been able to tell the difference, honestly, if they didn't try to introduce your dog to other dogs while off leash.

I'd introduce them off leash in her neighbor's yard/house, personally, after her dog comes back and puts his scent in the yard a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve had him for 8 years, and he is aggressive on and off the leash. He great w people but other dogs are intolerable. Last. Night I tried walking both of them together. The corgi, unintact, repeatedly tries to mount gfs dog but didn’t seem to be aggressive. Encouraged, I let them loose inside her apartment where he promptly bit the other dog. Little disappointed in my beloved by crazy corgi, as her dog is very sweet and gentle. I’m thinking of putting a muzzle on him and seeing if they can work it out

·
Registered
420 Posts
Your muzzle idea may help but, do it in a neutral territory, a dog park, a friend's yard, not home to either dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts