Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well it's hard to get a good idea of his size and build from those photos but my initial reaction is that there is Jack Russell in him.

What is his personality like? Is he tenacious/stubborn/independent? Is he smart? Does he have a strong prey drive? Energy level? Preferred style of play?

Often it's easier to determine breed background by behavioral characteristics rather then just physical looks.

ETA: The other breed that I see is some sort of pointer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
He can be stubborn/tenacious/independent sometimes. most certainly more than the Goldens we had previously had here. He often acts more like a human than a dog if that makes any sense. He won't lick my face or sit dutifully by my side for hours, but he will jump onto my bed to catch some zzzs with me, and he will ask me (by gently nudging me with his paw) to tuck him into the covers at night. He has very little prey drive--he's never presented me with any dead animals and he gets along well with our cat. His energy level is medium-to-low.

I probably should've included a dollar bill or a banana for reference, but I didn't since these are older pictures. he's about 62lbs. he's not a small guy.
Well prey drive is usually the instinct to chase rather then to kill, so it's more about whether when playing he likes games that involve chasing (or if he's off leash will he go running after squirrels/fast moving smaller critters). My girl has a strong prey drive but she doesn't chase or bother any small animals in the house, it's only when we're out in the woods -- so just because a dog has high prey drive doesn't mean it's automatically going to antagonize or kill small(er) animals all the time.

But based on your description of energy level and size, probably not JRT/Pointer. I would expect that cross to be smaller then your guy plus it would be a very high energy cross.

I do see some foxhound in there, possibly with yellow lab or a bully-breed mix which would explain energy level and size. Could be some JRT mixed in somewhere to give that telltale ear-flop and brown speckling?

In all likelihood one or both of his parents is also a mix which just makes "winning" this game impossible. But it is fun to play!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.