Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a dog that will guard our property, family, and any animals we may have on the land. We own little over 8 acres and it is surrounded by flat open farmland with the odd semi distant neighbor maybe 1-2 km away, most of it is NOT fenced to keep a dog in but we want a dog that will stay on our property and not wander off or want to expand it's territory... Must also be good in cold Alberta winter's.
Also we do not always have farm animals, sometimes we do sometimes we don't and not a lot at once, we do always have cat's and we have children and one large older indoor dog (to old to notice most things now and no good in the cold)

So if anyone has any input on breeds I should consider I would greatly appreciate it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
added info to post...

Could not figure out how to edit my post sorry :confused:

I would like to ad by "guard dog" I may actually mean watch dog, we want the dog to intimidate and deter trespassers or animals such as coyotes by it's presence and bark not by being dangerously aggressive and attacking, also bark to let us know something or someone is out there....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know about Alberta's winter, so that may automatically dismiss these breeds but my cousin used to have a Rottweiler and a GSD that met the rest of your standards; however, it should be noted that both of these dogs were higher maintenance and required a lot of training.

Back when I was 10 and my sister was 7, we used to go to my cousin's all the time and their dogs would always try to protect us (actually it almost got to the point of problematic.) As far as the not wondering past your property, my cousin trained them with the use of an electric fence and weaned them off to a complete trust. That said, this is all third party info as I haven't personally handled either of these breeds and didn't add much to their training or care. Hope this helps

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also don't know about Alberta, so first I'll ask, what breeds are the most available around you?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know if I think it's really reasonable to expect any free-roaming dog to not wander off property lines that aren't fenced in, no matter the breed. Yes, some breeds are more inclined to wander (like huskies or hounds), and some do tend to be less inclined to wander (more people-oriented breeds like herding breeds or some gundogs). That said, if you're letting the dog wander on its own it's going to get lost some time. How much time is this dog going to be spending outside, alone?

I can't tell from the post- are you looking for a dog that will be living outdoors most or all of the time, or are you looking for a pet that will live inside with you but spend time outside with you doing chores?

How much training are you looking to do with the dog? What does your life look like- strangers coming over often or rarely, other people's dogs coming over? Are you OK with the prospect of a dog that can't be around strange dogs, or possibly has issues when guests come to the house?

In terms of guarding- are you looking for something to bond directly to the animals, or something that's just intimidating and won't hurt the animals? You mention you want a dog that will bark but wouldn't bite- are you OK with the prospect of a dog that might bite someone it doesn't know on its property without you?

What kind of dog experience do you have? What kind of training/behavior knowledge?

I can think of a few different suggestions, but I want to hear a little bit more information before I go throwing out breed names.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
Ruh-roh.

I'd be leery of putting any dog on unfenced property, & expecting her or him to "stay at home" reliably. :eek:
That's asking a lot of any dog, no matter how well-trained, reliable, well-socialized, etc.

As U live in a rural area, odds-on at least some if not most of the neighbors have livestock, plus there's wildlife.
If yer dog decides to go walkabout & harasses someone's stock, or even LOOKS like they're threatening stock, I have no idea what the law is in Canada, but in the States, the dog can be shot dead - & U needn't notify the owner, either. // It's considered tactful to let the Game Warden or the local authorities know [sheriff, magistrate, whoever], & sometimes they inform the owner that Ol' Roy won't be coming home again, & why. But not always.

Wildlife are also a potent lure for some dogs, & it might not be every day, or all species - some critters are just more provoking, or more alluring, than others. Deer, for some reason, maybe for their potent scent, are intensely interesting to most dogs, & will elicit chases that can last for miles, leaving the dog alone in an unfamiliar landscape, far from home - or anyone who'd recognize her / him.
Again, in the USA, it's legal to shoot dogs on sight who are harassing wildlife - especially outside hunting seasons, when they have young, who will be orphaned & die, or are under stress.
For dogs chasing deer, it's often the triple-S: shoot, shovel, & shut-up.
Porcupines for unknown reasons are also an almost-irresistible critter - and dogs DON'T "learn to leave them alone", they get quilled over & over & over & over... & keep right on charging in to grab them. :eek: It seems almost masochistic.

"Good fences make good neighbors" is a country aphorism, & i think it's true. :eek:

I'd fence the part around the house, at the very least, B4 getting a dog. Any dog.
JMO & IME,
- terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We don't get many visitors or very often and most are uninvited and not welcome but ignore my no trespassing sign! soliciting, scamming, religious, scopers.... thieving has been on the rise in my area as well. I am home a lot often alone and I don't feel safe having anyone uninvited show up, my current dog is old he used to bark at anything that was near by or scare the crap out of anyone who came to the door, but he rarely notices anything anymore( and yes he barked at anyone who came here but he never bit anyone and thats basically what i'm looking for now to, intimidating not dangerous even if its just to alarm me that someone or something is here), i also want the dog would protect our land/animals from coyotes, LGD's are very common around here i've seen them loose on farms as well I was hoping to avoid those breeds that have a tendency to "wander" a while ago we had a husky/malamute mix and she was a major escape artist and was not easy to track down once she was out...this is something I want to avoid, I've seen plenty of dogs outside in the area that stay on or at least near their properties after research I was leaning towards a Maremma as it seemed they were more likely to stay with its flock... if someone knows differently i'd love to hear it.

I have an area that is fenced to keep a dog in its quite large to, but I would like to be able to let the dog loose as well and only lock up if I need to for whatever reason, and yes I am willing to train. My current indoor dog is large but short haired and cant stand the Alberta cold for very long at all he can barely go out to pee right now, the husky/malamute we had was just fine in it but she could not be off leash at all....

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know everyone probably gets tired of hearing me recommend this breed..... But once again, I'm going to say look into bullmastiffs. Both of mine actually bonded with our little goats and looked after them. My last female would let our smallest goat try to suckle her. Matter of fact that female almost perfectly fit what you describe. She had a harder temperament and was pretty business minded. When outside she'd just post up in a spot that she could survey her domain. She would scare the crap out of people.....she'd bark and let you know she was there, but then she got quiet and would just stare you down until she decided you were ok. She would not tolerate any strange animal on her turf. She did not wander off. There are still some out there with that kind of temperament. Most are not that serious minded anymore, but the real ones are still out there. Great great dogs if you can find one with the right temperament.
If you do enough research youll actually find that bullmastiffs are pretty commonly kept as a house and yard dog that gets along well with, and will protect livestock.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
Eek.

@Sthelena -
U did read that the OP lives in S Alberta, Canada?...

for a sample of their current local weather, see Calgary.
Link:
https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=AB

only 3 to 4-mos of the year, on average, are frost-free:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex10

My current indoor dog is large, but short haired; he can't stand the Alberta cold for very long at all - he can barely go out to pee, right now;
the husky/malamute we had was just fine in it, but she could not be off leash at all.

a BullMastiff, for all their size & mass, has no more coat than a Chihuahua - like a Dane, they're slick & short.
NOT a dog i'd recommend be outside for more than a matter of minutes, in a bitterly-cold winter that lasts approx 5-months, with fierce winds making the chill even-worse.

- terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.