Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We are searching for the right breed of dog to add to our family and I hope someone may have a suggestion.

Our situation:

2 adults, 2 kids, 1 house with medium yard.

I have summers of and my wife and I have slightly different hours of work.

We have one mutt (70 lbs) and a cat.

We would like a purebred. We also want it from puppyhood so we know we can trust it with kids.

So...friendly with us, but also protective of the kids in the unlikely chance of a breakin. (no labs or goldens)

Medium to large dog which enjoys play but doesnt need to run a marathon twice daily.

I have always liked German Shorthaired Pointers, Dalmatians, Rhodesians, etc but I do not think they would get enough exercise to be truly happy.

wife prefers a shorthaired dog

Okay so now I have asked for a dog that probably doesnt exist (at least I have not been able to find it)

Any suggestions...... Thanks for reading this far.

Summary: Seeking Purebred, medium to large family and guard dog, medium activity and not too fluffy

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
how old are your kids?

My first thought was leonberger or a mastif...but those don't fit your size requirements.

An akita or sharpei fit most of your requirements but I wouldn't recommend them around children unless you are really experienced with guardian breeds.

Honestly getting a puppy doesn't mean you can trust it more/less. In fact I'd trust an adult dog with a set temprament that has been assessed by an expert over a puppy from a breeder anyday. Puppies attitutes change. At about a year they change and again at around 3.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
you should go visit your local pound or aspc. i understand your not looking for a mutt but you might see a wide selection to get an idea of what you want

·
Registered
10 Posts
You may not be interested but I'd recommened a Toy Poodle.

I have one and they are a fine friendly little dog, with a good temperament.

There are 3 kids in my family, and She is fine with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our Dalmatians are VERY protective, excellent guards, although they can put on brakes easily and are generally friendly. But Dals are not for everyone, they shed and do need exercise. German Pointers and Weimaraners are great dogs. If you think of it any dog requires a lot of attention and exercise.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you don't mind slobbering, these breeds may be right for you:
1) Boxer, quite active when a puppy, they calm down and are somewhat lazy at adulthood.
2) Bullmastiff, laziest dogs I've ever seen.
3) Dogue De Bordeaux, a bit more active than the Bullmastiff.
4) A Rottweiler.
5) Akita.
If you don't mind a giant breed, you could get an English Mastiff or a Great Dane, but they aren't suited for young chlidren cause of sheer size.

Note that most guard breeds tend to be dominant, and those particular breeds need quite a lot of training.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As odd as this may sound to a person not used to the breed, i recomend the female Pitbull. However, do not buy from breeders that aren't in the big business. You may end up with a pit that has less then great genetics for health. I have a stud pit bull that is GREAT with kids!!! He loves them. He even lets little bity puppies crawl all over him and he doesn't care. Even when another dog attacks him, he doesn't attack right away. He waits for me to help him. And when my house got broken into, Peanut(the Pitbull) Got a bite out of him and nother was stolen. However, they eat alot, and since you have another dog they'll get enough exercise. get a puppy for sure, this way you know that he hasn't been traumatized too horribly yet. And she'll do great. I recomend the female because the female is more protective of her territory (your house and yard) than the people inside, a male is more protective of his pack (you family and pets). SO which ever is best for you. I would say to search around your local pet shelters, and humane society first before going to a breeder. Pets in shelters need a home NOW. Breeder dogs are already living in a home and can stand to wait for the next buyer. Go to a shelter and save a life. Get a Pit, or even a Pit mix if your a little scared of the breed. and Get a puppy, less than 6mos old

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also the Pitbull hits about 2-3 years old and all they want is a bone, and something to sleep on. He sleeps and stays out of the way, but still jumps to the alert when he hears something. And lets face it. Someone breaks into your house and sees a ticked off pitbull in front of them, chances are they'll turn around and make a run for the hills. he loves to pay tug-of-war sometimes, but mostly just wants to relax and have a person in the house. They give kisses, and hugs, and are generally healthy. He got kennel caugh once, and that was it. Nothing else at all. Anything else, feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Boxer's are great mine doesn't slobber.
Labradors are great family dogs. I got mine when she was 3 months old my son was 1 year old and my daughter was 5. She did great with the kids. We lost her at 11 years old do to an accident. We still miss her.
Beagles are great little dogs.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I suggest a Doberman Pinscher, although it doesn't quite fit the activity range because they're quite energetic. But, Doberman's are excellent guard dogs, a big baby, great with kids if brought up at a young age, extremely loyal, and very easy to train.
I have 2 cats, 2 birds, and a ferret plus my Dobie and she is great with them as well as other dogs and children.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone so much for all the replies and suggestions. Toy poodle and beagle don't really fit what I am looking for. Akita's are a little too hairy. Dalmatians and dobermans are probably a little to active.

I understand the pound dog issue. Every dog I have owned has been one but this time around I am looking for specific traits which although cant be guaranteed with a purebred are at least likely to be present.

The dogue de bordeaux and mastiffs are intriguing but probably too large in the end.

I guess the top three at this point are the boxer, rottweiler and pitbull. I know rotts and pits have bad reputatons but I do not believe that at all. I will have to check the homeowners insurance though.

Any more recommendations or info on those three breeds would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You definitely don't want a Dalmation with kids. They are very intolerant of kids. Shepards require grooming but are extremely great dogs, protective of kids and territory. I don't understand why you are against Labs! They are playful, fun, smart, guardian angels, tolerent. I had a lab/Rotty mix twice and they are fabulous dogs. Intelligent, gentle, smart, somewhat large and intimidating, protective, beautiful, short-haired. I have to ask you too, how old are your children? Is this for them, or for you. When you bring a new pet in the home, don't expect the kids to take care of it. It usually ends up to be the adult that is home the most. Reading other peoples answers, I strongly urge you to not go with a pit bull, a boxer is very hyper. I think you are looking for a dog with low maintainence and tolerant of children. A poodle is high maintaintence and snappy. As are many many small dogs, Poms, Russells, poodles, chiwuhwahs (sp?) How much money do you want to fork out for a Purebred? Most run $1,000.00 or more. The key in deciding what breed is best for your household is the following: How much time do you have to train the dog. If you don't train the dog it will end up in a shelter and you will think it is a stupid dog. A dog is as stupid as the owner. How much time do you have and money for grooming a dog. How much time do you have to spend to clean up after the pup, and as an adult the fur balls. How much time do you have to give to your pet, love, exercise, outtings, playing. Are you willing to risk your children being attacked because your children don't know how to treat a pet? Are you going to teach your children how to treat a pet? Who is ultimately going to be responsible for this puppy and training? Feed, water, exercise, not abused by children who have no idea how to treat a pet? I would suggest you go to a shelter with the kids, look around, find a pet and go to a private room and see how the children act towards the pet and the pet towards them. You cannot blame a dog on their natural instinct to protect themself and that is where many families make mistakes. They think a puppy will make a great addition to the family, something for the kids, but you don't think about the welfare of the dog. Please think this over carefully. Get on the internet, look at "hybrid-dogs". Mixes like what I had, Lab/Rotty mix. Many are now beginning to enter the arena of the AKC. Remember this, little full grown dogs are usually hyper, yappy, and a lot of maintainence and usually tend to tie themself to one person. Large dogs have a lot of grooming issues, hip problems, behavior issues depending on breed. Rotties are great dogs, large, no grooming, gentle, good with kids and protective and intimidating. Just buy from a reputable breeder, any dog you choose for that matter. Check to be sure not a puppy mill, get a one year health guarantee, just...get on the internet and shop! You don't have to buy but you can learn a lot!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to be terrified of Rotty's until a friend of mine had three of them and I saw how sweet they were. A lot of the aggression in dogs is brought on by their training and territory/environment. I had two, at different times, Black Lab/ Rotty mix and I just can't begin to speak highly enough of this mix. They are considered "hybrid" dogs. There are hundreds of dogs out there and to include "hybrids". I suggest you check out hybrid mixes. I just bought a pup Bull Mastiff. She is precious. Douge de Bordeau are beautiful but very expensive. I almost bought one and can give you an excellent breeder of these magnificent dogs. They do run about $2,000.00 whereas a Bull Mastiff runs around $1,000.00. There are four types of Mastiffs, the Bull being the smallest, full grown around 120 -150 #. Then you have the Mastiff, 140# to 180#. You have the Tibetian Mastiff which, I don't know why its considered a mastiff as it doesn't look anything like a Mastiff, and finally, the Neopolitian Mastiff, easily 200# plus and extremely expensive. I don't usually buy purebred dogs. I mostly bought from shelters and all my dogs were fabulous dogs. You must educate yourself about the breed, hybrid, suitablility to your lifestyle, suitable expecially around children, and really, do you really think you and the whole family is ready to take this on???? For the sake of the dog, please consider carefully. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually, a Bullmastiff was made by mixing a Mastiff with a Bulldog. And those aren't the only Mastiffs around, there are others but they are commonly known by other names, like the French Mastiff (Dogue De Bordeaux) and the Italian Mastiff (Cane Corso).

Thanks everyone so much for all the replies and suggestions. Toy poodle and beagle don't really fit what I am looking for. Akita's are a little too hairy. Dalmatians and dobermans are probably a little to active.

I understand the pound dog issue. Every dog I have owned has been one but this time around I am looking for specific traits which although cant be guaranteed with a purebred are at least likely to be present.

The dogue de bordeaux and mastiffs are intriguing but probably too large in the end.

I guess the top three at this point are the boxer, rottweiler and pitbull. I know rotts and pits have bad reputatons but I do not believe that at all. I will have to check the homeowners insurance though.

Any more recommendations or info on those three breeds would be greatly appreciated.
A Dogue De Bordeaux is around the same size of a rottie. You might want to consider a Bullmastiff since they're one of the lowest maintenance, and one of the laziest dogs around, also very protective of it's family.
Boxers are great, they're very high strung as puppies, but when they're older they settle down, same with Rotties, though from my experience Pits are fairly active as adults.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are in a similar situation, but without the other pets. We are adopting a Basset Hound puppy in a couple of weeks. All that I've read has said these are great family dogs. They are a medium-sized breed and don't have high activity levels. It is recommended to monitor how active they are as it's easy for them to become couch potatoes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had tons of dogs over the years (Peckinese, Golden Retrievers, Labs, etc.) and the BEST dog I have ever owned was a Lab mix. You can't beat them for intelligence, gentleness, and companionship.

My lab, Moses, was also terrific with protecting our property. If anyone came on the property he didn't know, he ran directly towards them and let them know he was watching them. He didn't bite or snap, but he would growl and be very watchful if he sensed the person might be a problem. Great with the kids---both of ours could climb up his back and roll all over him, pull his ears, and he absolutely loved it.

Moses passed away a year or two ago and I still miss him. I doubt I'll ever find another dog as gentle, kind, and intelligent and I would trust with protecting our family.

If you're dead set against labs or goldens, I'd reccommend maybe a German Shephard--though they are very high-strung and I'm not sure how they'd do around very small children.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts