Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted a 1 and 1/2 year old Mastiff lab mix from a rescue shelter. He has a past, he was adopted and then taken back (he is a 73 dog pound) because he knocked down a little kid while playing. My boyfriend and I fell in love with him and adopted him. He is sometimes a calm dog, others not. He pees EVERYWHERE in the apartment and even poops. He likes to bite our ankles and hands especially. Whenever we leave him to go out, we leave him in a crate. He has escaped TWO times, UNLOCKED our front door and has been running around the apartment building. We have had to come home from work to take care of him because of phone calls that he has gotten out!!!! I have no idea what to do- I have only had him for for 5 days. My apartment complex is pissed- Is this normal?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How is dog doing now?

Hi. How is your mastiff doing now? I had a similar problem with a rescue. He peed everywhere because he was scared and uncertain. He doesn't pee in our house anymore, but when we take him with us on holiday he has to wear a belly band at night so he doesn't pee on the hotel bed. You may want to try one of those temporarily until he is comfortable with you.

Your dog needs to feel like part of the pack. His reactions are all fear reactions. Your consistency with feeding, grooming, playing will help him get over that. My dog was an escape artist too. That is also fear. Once the fear subsides, so will the escapes. When you leave, do you leave your dog a bone to chew in the crate? Do you leave a television or radio on to keep him company? I found all those things helped.

Good luck with your pup. Rescues take a long time sometimes. Ours took a bit over a year before he's even wag his tail. It was usually between his legs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.