Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope I can find some help here.

Once a week I go to visit my friend who lives with a male Golden Retriever 19 months old, my golden is a female Golden Retriever, she is 2 years old, she can socialize with almost any dog without a problem. My friend's dog haven't socialize with other dogs but his sister and my golden. They've been playing since he was around 1 year old but everything it get worst, he is always behind my golden, but ONLY HER, he doesnt care about any other dog that goes by he just focus on my golden and is always trying to mount/hump her or trying to sniff her butt, he is well trained, can even do some tricks but the moment he sees penny (my dog) he loses all focus and you can even say he's deaf (lol).

There's nothing we can do to stop him from sniffing, no matter what we do, my dog keeps snapping at him over and over, this can go on for hours until they are exhausted buy any time he sees a chance goes and does it again, my friend keeps trying to correct this behavior but the dogs pays no attention to him.

Keep in mind that neither of the dogs is spayed or neutered and this is not an option for the moment.

Any advice will help and thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Is your dog coming into heat? If she is then that's the problem and you'd better start keeping her separate from your friends dog or sooner or later your girl will welcome his advances.

If it's simply a case of bad manners then as soon as he goes to mount Penny, and I mean as fast as possible, separate him from her, and keep him next to y'all, for a few minutes before letting him rejoin her, as soon as he goes to mount her again repeat separating him. Over and over till he gets the message that mounting = end of fun. You need to be right there to separate them and you cannot ever let him get away with mounting. That training will NOT work if your girl is in heat or just coming off of it because his mind is in his hind quarters and all he can think about is mating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your dog coming into heat? If she is then that's the problem and you'd better start keeping her separate from your friends dog or sooner or later your girl will welcome his advances.

If it's simply a case of bad manners then as soon as he goes to mount Penny, and I mean as fast as possible, separate him from her, and keep him next to y'all, for a few minutes before letting him rejoin her, as soon as he goes to mount her again repeat separating him. Over and over till he gets the message that mounting = end of fun. You need to be right there to separate them and you cannot ever let him get away with mounting. That training will NOT work if your girl is in heat or just coming off of it because his mind is in his hind quarters and all he can think about is mating.
My friend's dog has always been like with her, her heat is coming soon I know the behavior will get worst and also I will have to keep them apart but for now that is not the case. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If your female is still intact and he's not generally interested in other dogs, this could be the reason.

If he's acting like this also with other (castrated, spayed, male, female) dogs too, he could be just overexcited and stressed.

In both cases I'd keep the dog apart and train with the male to stay clam around other dogs, in heat or not.

Reactions: janciani

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
There is a dog at our dog park named Max, who doesn't get any real exercise except for once every 3 weeks he shows up to run around the dog park. He is a mastiff/pit mix, intact, and is very high energy. He is obsessed with a female dog named Sasha, who is spayed. Sasha is a very nice dog, who is very social with everyone. However, Max will not leave her alone. He humps her absolutely non-stop from the moment he arrives, until the moment Sasha leaves. Sasha tolerated it for a while, but is now snapping at him with more intensity. While at first this was just annoying, we've noticed that after it happens, Sasha is very grouchy for a couple of days, and plays too rough.

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't bring my dog there anymore. It's going to start becoming very annoying for her. Once she comes into heat, she will be an absolute tease, and will drive the male dog crazy. If you're determined to have them play together, then @Rain 's advice is spot on. He needs to be interrupted every. Single. Time.

Reactions: janciani

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your advice. Base on what you told me he's just a dog with bad manners. He's not humping her all the time because she doesn't let him, she has very little patience so she instantly snaps at him when he gets annoying, doesn't even let him put his head on top of her.
He runs a lot everyday, my friend uses a laser so the dog runs all around the street chasing the laser light for a while and still has a LOT of energy is amazing how much energy that dog has, and as soon as he sees penny the world cease to exits for him.

I want to keep getting together so his dog can play because he has no time to take the dog out to a park and doesn't know other people with dogs, I'm from Venezuela and most of the people here doesn't care to much about their pets (most of then doesn't know what is good or what is bad) we don't have 'dog parks', people bring their dogs to parks where people use to run or exercise but some doesn't like that. 90% of these dogs don't know how to behave in front of other people or other dogs.

I practice agility and all of the other dogs are male, they always try to sniff or mount penny but she quickly snaps and they relax because they understand she will kick their butt. That's why I wanted to ask around here because he doesn't seem to understand when she's telling him to back off.

Thank you again for your help

·
Registered
214 Posts
There is a dog at our dog park named Max, who doesn't get any real exercise except for once every 3 weeks he shows up to run around the dog park. He is a mastiff/pit mix, intact, and is very high energy. He is obsessed with a female dog named Sasha, who is spayed. Sasha is a very nice dog, who is very social with everyone. However, Max will not leave her alone. He humps her absolutely non-stop from the moment he arrives, until the moment Sasha leaves. Sasha tolerated it for a while, but is now snapping at him with more intensity. While at first this was just annoying, we've noticed that after it happens, Sasha is very grouchy for a couple of days, and plays too rough.
Yeah, no doubt! Playing is one thing, but if the dog is always doing that, the owner needs to step up and stop it. I'd say something to the owner; that's not acceptable behaviour ad a dog park at all. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts