Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to turn, my dog was diagnosed with keratoconjunctivitis sicca. I'm reading up in and so scared!!

I am having a hard time getting drops into her eyes. She is a little 7lb Shih Tzu and wiggles like a worm... I MUST be doing something wrong.

Any advice on getting drops into her and any information on this disease would be greatly appreciated.

I came home with 3 types of eye drops.

Ofloxacin - antibiotic for infection 4x day
Tacrolimus - 2x day for life?
Artificial Tears - 4x day for life?

·
Registered
368 Posts
aka 'Dry Eye'... very common in that breed. Without life long treatment the corneas will eventually become so scarred that blindness develops. Due to lack of tear production, usually from the third eyelid gland. Most common in dogs that are also very allergic. Requires a medication that helps to not only keep the eyes moist, but (we hope) to stimulate some tear production... such products include Cyclospine and Tacrolimus. Opt immune is the brand name for the ointment form of the Cyclosporine, but you can get drops, too (easier to apply, and far cheaper)... Tarcrolimus only comes as a compounded drop (that I know of)... you may have seen ads for 'Restasis' on TV (I think also a form of Cyclosporine) for basically the same condition in people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts