Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old tinny Maltese dog. A few times he ate his poo but he didnt use to do that often. Now he does that all the time.

He keeps eating his poo! Its disgusting!!!

I wait for him to poo before I leave the house but some how even then he manages to poo after I leave the house. When I get home his face and bed are full of poo and his poo is gone.

I dont know what to do anymore. Is there anything I can maybe put in his food so it will taste bad and he will stop doing that?

Just now I fed him, turned around for a few seconds when I see hes eating his poo! I dont know what to do anymore!

:confused::(:(

·
Registered
874 Posts
Have you made sure that he has no medical conditions that may be the reason he is trying to eat feces or check to make sure he is getting all his nutrients from his kibble?

This article says there is a thing called Forbid or Pineapple Juice (I am not sure if this actually works).

Stopping Dogs From Eating Poop

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm wondering if that behavior might be triggered by a nutritional deficiency! I don't know that to be factual, but it might be a question you could pose to your Vet.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Some basket muzzles can prevent this from being done as easily but still allow drinking from a bowl and panting. Since he's small you can even find ones off ebay that are cheaper (since you're going to be cleaning the muzzle so frequently you might want a spare). It's a temporary prevention but it's better than nothing until you can see a trainer/vet or figure out the cause.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One of my pup's is doing this as well. It has gotten very bad over the last few weeks. I had been putting pumpkin in their food and that helped for a couple of weeks, but it's no longer doing the trick.

I just started working with an amazing behaviorist for help with major fear-anxiety issues I have with my other dog and part of the plan there includes a diet change, and after a LOT of research I've decided to make the switch to raw.

I have a big feeling nutritional deficiency is what is causing my Ember to eat her poop. Currently I feed a mix of kibble and canned, with the majority being kibble. The food is higher quality and grain free - but it's still kibble, which doesn't really get digested as well. So, if she's not getting what she needs through her food, and when it comes out it's in much the same state, well... makes sense to me.

My thoughts with all this is that you can try to put stuff in the poop to deter it, but trying to get to the root of what is causing it is probably a better plan.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this problem in a multi dog household. The dogs would eat his/her poop or that of others. The best solution I found was sprinkling anise seeds on all the dogs' food. They will eat the food, but will not eat the poo it turns into. Of course, if you have more than one dog, you must put seed on each of the dog's food, not just the poo eater. Good luck. It's terribly disgusting. (And, the seed has kept mine from eating it, but my Boston will still bring it into the house to play with. She has plenty of toys that seem more appealing to me!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.