Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live on 11 acres. We rescued a yellow lab/hound about a year ago. We can’t keep him home unless hes chained up. He’s miserable and takes every opportunity to escape. When we call him, he runs the opposite way. Our neighbor's are threatening because we won’t stay off their property. We’re surrounded on 3 sides by river which he loves to swim across. we don’t know what to do to keep him home.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
On a practical level, the easiest way would be to fence a small part of your land.

But why is he always trying to escape? And what do you do when you recall him - coming to you needs to be awesome, with a fabulous reward. If that means you become the source of frankfurter sausage or roast chicken, so be it.

If you want more suggestions on working on recall, please say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We live on 11 acres. We rescued a yellow lab/hound about a year ago. We can’t keep him home unless hes chained up. He’s miserable and takes every opportunity to escape. When we call him, he runs the opposite way. Our neighbor's are threatening because we won’t stay off their property. We’re surrounded on 3 sides by river which he loves to swim across. we don’t know what to do to keep him home.
Behavior like that is pretty normal i have a pitbull to he would run out of the house as soon as i opened the gate, your dog has a lot of energy and he feels confined try taking him for dog walks and increase your human to dog interaction if you want better and faster results try Training him worked for me and my dogs behaviour had improved drastically

1 - 3 of 3 Posts