Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
So I dunno if this is allowed, if it's not feel free to delete.. But I am being forced to move.
If i can't get up the deposit for Liam, he will most likely be put down due to his fear aggression towards strangers, and sudden movements. Please help me keep my baby. Liam is a Chow x Black mouth Cur x Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

I've had Liam since he was 2 months old, and due to a situation I was in he never received the socialization he needed. It is my fault he is like he is, and have spent the past 6 years trying to rectify that. Please don't let me fail him now, he's my whole world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
So I dunno if this is allowed, if it's not feel free to delete.. But I am being forced to move, and in an attempt to keep my little family together I've started a you caring fund.
If i can't get up the deposit for Liam, he will most likely be put down due to his fear aggression towards strangers, and sudden movements. Please help me keep my baby. Liam is a Chow x Black mouth Cur x Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

I've had Liam since he was 2 months old, and due to a situation I was in he never received the socialization he needed. It is my fault he is like he is, and have spent the past 6 years trying to rectify that. Please don't let me fail him now, he's my whole world.





Not sure you want to try this idea, but you can always give up your well behaved dog to a good home, rather than keeping your good dog and putting down the one who can't be trusted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,794 Posts
Not sure you want to try this idea, but you can always give up your well behaved dog to a good home, rather than keeping your good dog and putting down the one who can't be trusted.
I was just thinking something like that- if the other dog doesn't have issues, why is the choice to keep one and put down the other when you could keep one and rehome the other?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
Perhaps also consider selling some stuff or even asking a close friend or family member for a loan. Furniture and electronics in good shape often sells well. And might make a quick move so much easier without. You can always replace couches, tv's, etc. later on and survive without for a while even.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have anything of value and my jerk of a landlord just posted saying i gotta be out by friday now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I dont have anything of value and my jerk of a landlord just posted saying i gotta be out by friday now.
You have to be out or the dog does? Unless he's already gone through the eviction and notification process you have legal rights as a tenant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All of us do. At the end of January he told me feb would be my last month, he wasn't renewing my lease. In an effort to save up for a new place i havent paid him this months rent. His son gave me a paper on the 15th that said i had till the 19th to pay rent or give up the residence. He hasn't gotten an eviction notice.Then today he posted a hand written thing saying my last full day is thursday i gotta be out by friday
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,969 Posts
You have to be out or the dog does? Unless he's already gone through the eviction and notification process you have legal rights as a tenant.
This. You have more rights than the landlord does. Honestly, he could absolutely give you a week to get your dog out but he cannot say that YOU have a week to get out. I have a friend who owns an apartment building. He's had people in there that haven't paid for months and months or completely trashed the place and it's hard to get even those people out. A lot of landlords try to bully their tenants because the tenants don't know the laws but you have rights.

ETA: Of course, laws will differ a little state to state
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I dont have anything of value and my jerk of a landlord just posted saying i gotta be out by friday now.
All of us do. At the end of January he told me feb would be my last month, he wasn't renewing my lease. In an effort to save up for a new place i havent paid him this months rent. His son gave me a paper on the 15th that said i had till the 19th to pay rent or give up the residence. He hasn't gotten an eviction notice.Then today he posted a hand written thing saying my last full day is thursday i gotta be out by friday
This. You have more rights than the landlord does. Honestly, he could absolutely give you a week to get your dog out but he cannot say that YOU have a week to get out. I have a friend who owns an apartment building. He's had people in there that haven't paid for months and months or completely trashed the place and it's hard to get even those people out. A lot of landlords try to bully their tenants because the tenants don't know the laws but you have rights.

ETA: Of course, laws will differ a little state to state
I'm quoting all this because of my concern. When your lease runs up, it doesn't give you the right to stop paying your rent. Sometimes, landlords decide not to renew leases for many reasons, often none of them personal. That said, tenets rights means that even with an eviction notice you do have more time typically.

I have to say that I don't see a bully, rather someone who has indicated he no longer wishes to rent to you, and you taking it quite personally. You stopped paying him...this is quite a big deal. He has reacted by serving an eviction notice. It's a total mess, and it's not all on him.

You may want to try and call your local housing authority to see if they can help you find a place and let you know you're rights. But not paying your rent, you're in the wrong. You may have to find someone to watch your "good" dog in order to be able to afford your dog who is not well behaved. You may have to sell everything you do own on Craig's list. You have 2 dogs and you've been able to be able to afford, so you have a capacity to earn and save. Point is, you'll have to do some "adulting" and figure this thing out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,969 Posts
@seashoreduck - I agree about the rent. You certainly cannot stop paying your rent because he didn't renew the lease. If I understand correctly, which maybe I'm missing something, he didn't actually serve the OP an eviction notice. He sent his son to give a note from them. That point kind of doesn't even matter. I do suspect that there may be more to this story.
@Sheena - Pay your rent for this month and search high and low for another apartment. You can wait until he serves you an eviction notice but you will still be responsible for the rent. Typically, a potential new landlord will contact an old landlord so you would be digging yourself into a hole by not paying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 'good dog' is pregnant, and due around march 10th. Er go, she can't go to one of my friends because all my friends have kids or noisey houses and aren't prepared for a litter of puppies
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
I read that you recently purchased Blarney from a breeder and that you have a breeding contract, correct?

I would call and talk with the breeder. A reputable breeder is always there to help and take back dogs if need be. Seeing as he/she holds breeding rights (assuming that's what you meant by breeding contract) they may want her back for a bit anyway until all pups are placed. And even if not the original plan, you may very well not be prepared for a litter of puppies so soon after a move... hopefully your breeder can and will help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,969 Posts
I suggest bringing both of your dogs to the ASPCA or another rescue that would take them. I also suggest getting things in your life straightened out before getting another dog, and definitely before wanting to breed more dogs. My heart is sad for those dogs... good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
Sheena, as has been stated, look into tenant eviction laws. Unfortunately by not paying your rent you have given your landlord a leg to stand on, as does his not renewing the lease, Here's the procedure here in Tx Texas Tenant Advisor

Here's in Tx he's done the first part of the eviction process. If you do not vacate by the date stated on the eviction notice, then he'd have to file an eviction lawsuit.

Ask your dogs breeder if she'd mind keeping the dog until you are settled in your new home. Although if she was sold under a breeding contract I think you may have broken it by allowing her to become pregnant, and the breeder is probably going to be slightly ticked off.

Ask any potential new landlords if they would mind setting up a payment plan for the pet deposits. Some may be willing to work something out, generally you'll have better luck if you are renting from private homeowners rather then rental agencies.

Ask friends and family for loans, it never hurts to ask. Sell or pawn what you can. If you go the pawn route don't pawn anything you do not want to potentially lose.

Good luck!
 
  • Like
Reactions: SusanLynn

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
You do seem to have gotten yourself into a situation here. I think @Aspen726 gives good advice about contacting the ASPCA, at the very least they could take the puppies & rehome them responsibly so that they don't get into the wrong hands & maybe help you with the cost of spaying the mama dog so that this doesn't happen again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
You currently have:
-One dog whom is aggressive enough to people to consistently be a bite risk
-One "pit bull" who is due to have a litter next month, making your population considerably higher
-Not paid your rent up to date
Your chance of finding a landlord who will accept you with those circumstances is essentially nil, unless something changes dramatically.

Changing the first item would result in euthanasia of Liam, which would be a shame for him given that nothing has changed about him to warrant that decision, only about your living situation (a man made problem).

Changing the second item is something which could probably be done, but you appear to be unwilling to do so at this time. You have many friends lined up who want a puppy, however those people may or may not want a puppy once they're born, or once they're ready to go to homes. I regularly see ads posted for puppies from litters which were all spoken for by friends and family while not yet born, people change their minds, or learn from their landlord that they can't have the dog (particularly a concern with a bull breed mix), or you don't have a pup that they find appealing in the litter- people can and will back out of that commitment for any number of reasons. How will you afford to feed potentially 10 extra dogs? Even now Blarney is probably having greater caloric needs, and once the pups are born, that's only going to increase from there. Once puppies are weaned, they'll need food, and of course, they'll eat more as they grow, especially if you end up with some past 8 weeks of age. Legally in most states, puppies are required to have a health exam prior to going to new homes- another expense. Vaccines? What if she needs a c-section or gets mastitis? The cost to treat either of those could eclipse that of a months rent and security deposits which you currently don't have.

Are you still in contact with Blarney's breeder? If so, ask them if they can take her back to whelp out her litter. I'm sure they will not be pleased that their young dog is having a litter of mixed breed pups, but if they want to maintain her viability for breeding in the future, that would be the best way for them to ensure that.

If not, contact local SBT and pit bull rescues in your area and ask them for assistance. Honestly, it would probably be best and safest for her at this point to be spayed and have the pups aborted, but there is a limited time frame in which that can be done before pups are viable so if you consider this, keep that in mind. A rescue group or shelter may be able to help with finding someplace you can afford/often will help pay for it. They could possibly also advise you as to the legality of doing it if you have a breeding contract. My non-lawyer opinion is that despite your breeding agreement, if you attempt to contact the breeder repeatedly and aren't able to reach them, you need to make the best decision for Blarney's health, which probably isn't to whelp a litter with no roof over her head, when her owner has no financial leeway in case of complications. If nothing else, a rescue/shelter may be able to help with vaccines and spay/neuter for the pups once the litter is old enough (though they may require the same of Blarney, since there will always be loose dogs roaming when she's in heat, and they don't want to have to do this again in 8 months).

Regarding the last item, you should pay your rent up to date, so that's one less strike against you when looking for a new residence. Your landlord probably still will not give you a glowing review, but that's something that you can prove to a prospective new landlord. Definitely check into your local tenant protection laws, as it's unlikely they can evict you so quickly without prior notice. Of course, that doesn't mean that your landlord won't make things different for you in other ways, like calling animal control and getting you harassed/fined because they're angry at the idea of your litter of pups wrecking their apartment when they want you out. The more difficult and unfriendly your relationship with them, the more likely they are to make things difficult for you and potentially try to sue for any damages to the property, so keep that in mind.

Good luck in your search, hopefully things will work out for all of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And thus is why dogs are dumped at shelters. People post for help and only get attacked. Well done 'dog community'. As for Blarney, she's not going anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,969 Posts
You posted to an online forum asking us for money... how could you not expect questions? When we asked the questions, you got defensive. When you post online, you are opening yourself up to the opinions of others- whether you want it or not. We gave you our opinions of what we think is best for the dogs. You are free to use the advice or not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
And thus is why dogs are dumped at shelters. People post for help and only get attacked. Well done 'dog community'. As for Blarney, she's not going anywhere.
Actually, it's clearly against forum rules to solicit money on this site.

Putting that aside, I sympathize that you are in quite a predicament. We had another young woman in a similar situation about a year ago. She had two dogs that she deeply loved, but had absolutely no family support and no secure housing. She was in danger of becoming homeless and she placed her dogs in foster care while she struggled to get back on her feet.

In the end, she made the decision to rehome one of her dogs with the foster family, and she kept the other one once she found a place to live. It was a very difficult decision and she really agonized over it, but it was the right decision for the dog and for herself.

It seems that you are at a similar crossroads. I know that you were asking for just a few hundred dollars, but it seems like that would just be a stopgap measure. I would suggest returning your female dog to the breeder, or it that's not possible, find a rescue group that will take her. If you're at the risk of being homeless (and being evicted means that you are), you're not going to be able to afford the food and vet care for a pregnant mom and a litter of puppies. It's in her best interests and that of her unborn puppies to quickly move her to a more stable home.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
Back on topic and follow forum rules everyone, please.

Everyone can offer suggestions that may help, but this really need not have turned into an arguement. All arguing stops here.

@Sheena, for the most part people are wanting to help with suggestions so that you can keep both dogs, or at least not have to pts, which is what your op was about. I think there is some frustration over suggestions being so quickly dismissed. It kinda seems as if you have already made your decision about Liam's fate, contrary to your op....

If wanting a solution, best chances are honestly selling stuff, getting a loan from someone, and/or seeking help from Blarney's breeder. Working out payment with a new landlord is also a possibility. Perhaps offer half upfront and the other with the next month's rent or something similar.

Frankly, the cost of euth and cremation is likely going to be half if not more than half of the pet deposit you need. Just doesn't make sense to me to go to pts as a first option because of this and the options you have available to cover the difference.

Regardless, best of luck in whatever you do!:)
Posted via Mobile Device
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top