Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved in with my parents, who have three chihuahuas. They love my big dog, Brody, and allowed me to bring him with me when I moved. He's getting along with 2 out of 3 of the smaller dogs quite well, but the third one we are having problems with.

He will go up and sniff the other two, they don't react, and then he walks away. He doesn't bother them or obsess over them but if he does get too close they will give a growl or an air snap and he accepts it and leaves them alone. All in all he is learning to be respectful of their boundaries and they are very tolerant of his puppyish behavior.

However, the third one, the smallest one, is the one I am having the most trouble with. She is the smallest, does not like to go outside for walks, for socialization, for anything, and spends 95% of her day snuggled under blankets and sleeping. She is very skittish, and runs from him when he comes to investigate. She also makes very jerky, squirrely movements and whines almost like a squeak toy, so I am concerned he is seeing her as some kind of toy. He is always interested in her and will get up in her space and nudge her with his nose, and when she tries to get away he chases her. I always interrupt him and tell him no, and I watch when he does do an acceptable greeting (sniff, keep good distance, and then leave her alone) and immediately praise him and treat him for this acceptable behavior.

Right now I am keeping them separated when I can't supervise, but I would like to get them to the point where I can trust them enough that I can walk into another room and not worry about my big dog terrorizing the little one. He has always been great with little dogs, but I am worried that he is viewing her as some sort of toy and that if left unchecked, this behavior is going to escalate and he will really do some damage to her. ): Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to help these two dogs adjust?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Honestly, with this much of a size difference, I think that the safest thing to do is to keep them separate when they aren't being supervised.

With a very tiny Chihuahua and a medium/large sized dog like yours (assuming he's the dog in your picture), the small dog can be seriously injured just from the big dog trying to play with it. When the small dog is prone to darting movements, running from him, and tends to make high pitches squeaky noises, IMO you're at big risk for "predatory drift". "predatory drift" is essentially when play behavior shifts into a predatory driven behavior because of the movement/noise made by one of the animals. Some say it happens rarely to never, some blame a great many small-and-large dog fights/small dog deaths at the 'paws' (hands- a little humor) of large dogs on it. Personally, I fall somewhere in between, but think it is highly applicable to cases like this where there is a huge size difference and the smaller dog is so un-dog-like.

You could work on teaching him to completely ignore this dog, and that may be successful when you're there, but bottom line is when no one is supervising, there is always a risk of accidental injury or him mistaking the small dog for a prey animal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been about a week and a half since making this post, and I'm glad to say they are doing much better. I still separate them when I am out of the house, but they are getting used to each other and we have minimal problems now. He's stopped chasing her, and she is getting used to his size and manners and is less skittish around him. I think maybe they just needed a little more time to adjust and I was expecting results too quickly.

However, I will keep supervising them when left out together, just to make sure nothing bad happens. I know with his size, one accidentally misplaced paw can mean one seriously hurt chihuahua, and I'd rather not take that chance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts